Author Topic: Forks question ???  (Read 3284 times)

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Forks question ???
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Hi Folks my forks have some quite bad scratches and gouges on the fork bottoms just wondering if i can fill these with some kind of filler then sand smooth ??
These will be getting painted eventually does anyone know of a good filler ??
I have heard of Metal Set is this any good !!!

Regards
Stu
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline kifer

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Forks question ???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:01:16 AM »
I would use any filler suitable for ally, did the bottoms on my VFR just wanted to cheer them up without to much fuss brushed on silver hamerite flatted then another coat and flatted again ended with 2000 grit could not believe the finish I ended up with look
almost new and all from what was already in the shed. Cheers Tom.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
I've fixed pitted forks with araldite and they lasted for ages. I'm sure it will stick just as well to the bottoms.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
Yeah i never thought of Araldite ive got loads of the stuff i think i will give it a go tonight !!!!

Cheers

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
Would have thought any proprietry body filler would do the job, consider opening gouges up a bit to give sufficient area to bond to. Think I will be painting mine too eventually ( too busy riding it at the moment  :) ) as the alloy is not the best and I can't get rid of marks that are actually in the alloy

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »
Yeah i have noticed that the more you polish the forks more marks in the metal appear !!!

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:09:22 PM »
There is a process to follow when polishing, you can't just get a rag out and some Solvol and expect good results

Yes I'm sure there is! Tips and tricks we have but may be we could also have some threads where people write up how they do things (like polishing). Tools, materials etc. If (like me) you are new to some of this sometimes you don't want to start something in case you make things worse.

Of course it takes time to write up, so its a bit of an ask...
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 01:29:29 AM »
Plenty of tips/tricks on the US site. SOHC4.net
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »
Interesting comment Oddjob, when I was polishing by hand I started with emery paper and / or dremel with stainless small wire brush, then progressively finer emery ending up with two polishing mops, one with coarse, one with fine paste. finally a buff with solvol. Even after all that I find some 'ghost like' patterns appear in the alloy in places ( not on all parts ). These patterns bear no relation to the shape of any corrosion which was fully removed to a dull finish by the emery paper. No amount of re finishing gets rid of said marks, they just change shape a bit no matter how much alloy you remove.

I gave up and assumed they were some kind of fault in the alloy, any suggestions as to what I did wrong?

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:16:59 AM »
Thats a really helpful and comprehensive reply, thanks mate, appreciate it  ;)

Sounds like I was on the right lines but wasn't aggressive enough initially ( how unlike me  ;) )

Mods, do you think this reply should be moved to 'tricks and tips' to be replaced by the 'How to' if it arrives? would be useful to all not just us 750 owners

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 09:53:07 AM »
Can see you are a perfectionist if you don't think thats detailed!  :) but I take your point.

Am sure the 'how to' would be appreciated by more than just me, the polishing was the major task ( in terms of time taken ) for my recent restoration. I too would like to have taken all the time in the world to get it right but had to balance out the fact that I wanted to ride the thing too and would rather have a 'nice' looking rider than a perfect mirror finish I was afraid to take outside! But I still consider my F1 to be a rolling restoration now and will probably improve her a bit at a time during the winter ice layup so the info would certainly be of use to me!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:10:55 AM »
I look forwards to it.

I'm sure I can find a safe place for it on here somewhere!

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal