SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

10W-50 oil

(1/4) > >>

anparkinson:
Just serviced my K3 and put 10W-50 fully synthetic in it instead of 10W-40.

Big difference - engine quieter and gear shifts MUCH smoother.

SteveD CB500K0:
Probably more to do with the synthetic than the grade.

Modern oils are sooo much better...

Does the clutch slip? [be prepared to fight off the oil aroraks...]

;)

Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP):
I am with you Steve read so much about oils Don't really know which way to go.After total rebuild went synthetic no problems now back on good old 20/50 and still no problems.These motors were designed to run on mineral oil as there was no synthetic about then.Oil pressure at the moment on mine is higher than Haynes speck says but I do not know how good the gauge is.The oil light never comes on only when its off.Its bloody hot here and even on tickover it never comes on or flickers so its 50/ 50 for me.In my day we all used duckhams 20/50 green oil went like piss after a good run.What do you all think?
Cheers
Bitsa

ST1100:

--- Quote from: SteveD CB500F on October 03, 2012, 06:51:30 PM ---Probably more to do with the synthetic than the grade.
--- End quote ---

Dunno... recently I'd to 'downgrade' from 5W60 to 5W50 (due unavailability of the first) on my touring rig, and I now sense clutch engaging not as precise...

Will the SOHC's accept full synth without problems (besides mandatory clutch plate cleaning)?

Bryanj:
Synthetic is just too damn expensive for me and i know for a fact that on the merc big comercials they "Burn" oil using synthetic but don't when on mineral

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version