SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

10W-50 oil

<< < (4/4)

Bryanj:
It may be better filtration and cooling that alows the higher miles, I just ain't gonna risk it with spares getting scarcer and more expensive

anparkinson:
Plus the fact that as you use the clutch and it wears, the bits go in the oil and are probably too small for the filter to catch. I guess because the synthetic is more resistant to shear, the oil change interval could be extended if the bike was used for long distances but I normally do it every 1,500 - 2,000 miles.

tom400f:
Just for a laugh - here are a couple of pages from the Honda service booklet (This is from my 400F January 1978 but the booklet looks to be used across all models at the time).

ST1100:

--- Quote from: tom400f on October 14, 2012, 08:05:32 PM ---Just for a laugh...
--- End quote ---

Nothing to laugh about... consider just how many riders today thread their mounts with complete ignorance in regards of inspections...  :-\

florence:
Oil, hurrah, everyone has a view on oil!

Here is mine.   I use "Turboplus" 10w40 from the local agricultural merchant because it is cheap and works fine.

However, I have just noticed that it is semi-synthetic.  Does this matter?  Is it possible to get purely mineral these days?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version