SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

10W-50 oil

<< < (2/4) > >>

ST1100:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on October 03, 2012, 10:19:10 PM ---I've heard the fully synthetic can cause seepage from oil seals that weren't designed for it, something to do with viscosity I seem to recall.
--- End quote ---

Seems logical on vintage engines, but what like after a full rebuild, with all gaskets and seals being replaced?

That an engine previously operated on dino oil, will start to 'use' oil for some time after a swap to synth as the deposits will dissolve and it'll take some time till new deposits build/seal seems also plausible.

SteveD CB500K0:
Ah, but...

[I love oil threads...]

Oil will meet the 10W/40 or 20W/50 spec whether it is mineral or synth (?)

I don't even use synth in my Triumph Tiger as it is far too expensive a luxury when the thing is designed for semi-synth.

Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP):
I agree silly money
Regards
Bitsa

LesterPiglet:
I must check what oil I used and report as my bike is now weeping. A friend brought it from his work so I don't know whether it's mineral or what. It has never done this before. It seems to be coming from sump/crank/rocker cover and tappet covers.

anparkinson:
I have no issues with clutch slip with the synthetic 10w-50 and no oil leaks at all. The bike doesn't burn any oil between its annual changes, normally about 1,500 miles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version