Author Topic: Spark Plug stuff on CB650C  (Read 2044 times)

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Spark Plug stuff on CB650C
« on: October 12, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Hi

Well I think I am going to have to do a compression test on my engine to see whether it is any good or not. Despite only covering 25k miles from new I suspect that it may have issues! I am suspecting the valves may not be seating right on one or maybe two cylinders. I want to confirm that it has good compression before I send it around the corner to the bike shop to have the carbs balanced etc and/or ignition issues looked into.

I want to buy a spark plug socket that will enable me to remove the inner two spark plugs. I really wanted a draper 12mm flexi spark plug wrench but they only do 10mm and 14mm no 12mm  >:(

I am thinking of buying a draper 12mm plug socket http://www.drapertoolbox.co.uk/draper-expert-38-square-drive-4315-63423 or this http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/spark-plug-spanner-wrench-12mm-stroke-p-5516.html?utm_campaign=products&utm_medium=BaseFeed1&utm_source=GoogleBase1. Does anybody know if both will fit the inner plugs or care to advise me as to which is the better option?

As the inner two plugs are real devils to get at  :'(

Fortunately the cylinder that is not running right is the outside right so if I need to I could just compare the compression on 1 and 4 and if really bad then I don't need to compare the inner ones as the head will have to come off anyway! 

I hoping that I can find a plug wrench combo that works for me. I asked at the bike shop round the corner and they use snap on gear (a tad expensive for me!).

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:23:36 PM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY
Slack jawed knuckle dragging Northamptonshire peasant labourers since c.1670

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Spark Plug stuff on CB650C
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:27:03 PM »
Mowby
On my 750 which i think is not a lot different i use a yamaha xjr1300 standard plug spanner gets them out no problem or you can get an original Honda one on eBay germany.
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:36:57 PM »
Hi

Do you have an item number for that Bitsa?

I am really hoping I don't find anything untoward when I check the compression but I have done everything else I can think of to get it running on those two cylinders but I am at a lose. So if the compression is good will be really mystified!

Cheers

John
John Willby
M0WBY
Slack jawed knuckle dragging Northamptonshire peasant labourers since c.1670

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
Yo John,
Item number is 221041440790 cost 9.90 euros.The guy is sound bought lots of parts from him and he speaks English.
All the best
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal