Author Topic: Carb issues  (Read 13388 times)

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Carb issues
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
 :-[ The penny has dropped... I can't believe I was so dumb! It is obvious now you three have pointed it out!

Hangs head in shame!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:24:11 PM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY
Slack jawed knuckle dragging Northamptonshire peasant labourers since c.1670

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 09:21:13 PM »
John

I (and I'll wager I speak for others) think your posts are great. Your enthusiasm shines through... I don't know if you've worked on these bikes much in the past but I'm no expert myself and we all have to start somewhere.

When I was 18 I bought a 400/4 unseen (well my brother had seen it at the dealers). It was only three years old but already had koni shocks (may be an improvement measure?), non-standard handlebar grips, the kickstart sometimes didn't engage, the clutch snagged and (as I discovered) the cam chain tensioner bolt was snapped off.

To pick up the bike I trained it to a then dingy Liverpool St station with the CB175 I was trading in lashed in the guards van (that was for free as well). Found my way to Acton and then rode the 400 back to Norfolk. Once I found out about the cam bolt I remonstrated with the dealer - to no avail of course. I then succeeded in snapping an easy-out in there. I reckoned I'd sell it and get a Suzuki GT380. As good as those bikes probably are that was a case of "shame on me". I missed a call to my advert and then thought sod it - I'll strip the bugger down.

Over the Christmas holidays I took it apart on an old kitchen table in the garage, took the crankcase back to university and to an engineering shop my dad used (in fact A L Carter Engineering Rear of 7 Chiswick High Road is still listed on 192 etc) and it cost me 40 quid (king's ransom to a student then) but the job was good. A large plug tapped in there and then drilled to the original bolt size.

Back home on the train, put the engine back together over a weekend and then ride it back to London. Don't know if kids/students would do that kind of thing these days.... anyway the kickstart was fixed, the clutch action was smooth and it rode great. That was until it was nicked two years later - NGH276P is hot by the way.

But I digress. Layla will rise and ride again. Your top-end strip is a good idea. I'd suggest grinding the valves in and fitting new guide oil seals while its out. Clean up the ports a bit... your new rings may be... getting the barrels back on is a piece of p1ss. Sort your carbs (you got them from bitsa? I'm sure he wouldn't flog you rubbish but nonetheless they may need a proper ultrasonic clean out - ok I'm at the limit of my knowledge when it comes to carbs) and we await your piglet-stylee videos.

In the mean time keep up the good work and do please continue to post your travails.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
Mowby,
I introduced myself on this site because as an ex mechanic who worked for Paul Smart I had forgotten so much stuff that I started to listen to advice from all over the world.As time went on it started to flood back to me and in the end I went with what I started to remember and especially ignored all the hype from the USA they are so excitable.What I did learn from Honda UK was that regardless of the models things did not change much.Part numbers were mostly all the the same and after reading super stuff from all over the world I found that I had had enough and went with what I remembered and guess what after fracking about with carbs for best part of two years I went for what I know.My bike now runs perfect ticks over great and am well impressed after 38 years its just as I remembered.I put in today a gell battery after she stood for 3 months and she burst into life after two arm kicks.Like I said go with what you know too much info fracks you up.There is no body that knows more than Honda does and I will get some flak for that statement but most of the guys here will give you info that in the past has worked for them does not mean it will cure your problems.Yes with the 750 you have to take the engine out right pain in the butt but my 1300 xjr to change the fork oil I have to dismantle the whole front end and don't start me on greasing the swing arm.Give me the old Honda designs any day,Persevere and you will be a happy chappie at the end of the day.
Keep your chin up
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 07:54:19 AM »
Hi

I have had a lot of bikes in my time! But I can #@%$ you there. I had a GT380 and a Honda 400/4! I was really into my two strokes and I got the 380 as a fixer upper but I sold it on before I could do anything with it. I have had loads of the Suzuki GT range. All of them except the 185 in fact... oh and the X5 (the 200 twin) but my next door neighbour had one if that counts! I had a fleet of GT250's at one stage rotating between them which enabled me to sort the problems on the next one whilst thrashing the life out of which ever was running at the time. I had a mechanic friend who also had a GT250 and we were in a constant competition to see who could get theirs tricked up and running the best! Of all my GT's I have fondest memories of the GT750 (EGJ 156T)! I was doing my engineering apprenticeship at the time and life was pretty good! But my time with the GT550 is a close second as it was a good bike, until it stopped charging, and broke down with a flat battery one day! I can remember the day vividly. I was on my way to work in the middle of a particularly harsh winter! I had no money on me to phone from the call box (no mobile phones in those days!) for my uncle to come rescue me. So I had to walk the 5 miles home. The 400/4 I can't remember much about except it was a real hack. Can't even remember how long I had it or why I sold it. All I can remember is riding it to Stratford upon Avon one day.

I am hoping to drop my cylinders off at the engineering shop today if I get time. I am off to Telford this morning to fetch a new 4 into 1 exhaust that I bought off ebay. The guy does not know much about it only that it is for a CB650 and it is made in England. I shall quiz him a bit more about it when I get there. Unfortunately when I took my exhaust pipes off I realised I had a stress fracture in one of the mufflers and taking them off was the final straw and it handed in it's notice. So the 4 into 1 will have to do until I can afford to get a replacement. I think finding one that is any good will be my problem.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:59:36 AM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28:44 AM »
I now have a new motad M6h 4 into 1 exhaust. Just got to get my hands on the fixtures and fittings and suss out which down pipe goes where! £264 new I go for a lot less than half that!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 11:59:57 AM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Motad exhausts are normally numbered where the downpipes enter the silencer, saves a lot of head scratching! Also on your original problem IE running on three, check for bent valve on that cyl as i had similar problems with my 550.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 04:20:28 PM »
Hi

Yes I contacted Motad and the stupid sales guy reckoned that they don't supply the head rings with their motad exhausts and to use the original Honda exhaust pipe collars! Despite my pointing out that the instruction manual he sent me says that the M6H comes supplied with 4 no. 21 head rings! He quoted me £7 for the bracket but when I said I would willing pay the £7 if I new how to order said item online from his website. I am still waiting to find out how I do this...

At least the instruction manual helped me to work out which pipe goes where. I would of been able to work it out if I offered it up to the bike but as the cylinder head and cylinders are off it at the moment I was kinda stabbing in the dark! Also I don't have the bracket either which I can see I will end up making myself.

Bad news on the honing is the engineering shop are no longer offering that service or rebores either anymore as it takes too much time for a relatively low return. But my local bike shop were able to point me towards a company in Wolverhampton that I can go to. The bike shop don't usually offer rebores and stuff anymore either as it is cheaper in the long run to throw the old cylinders away and fit new ones! I could not get my breath! Has this society really become such a throw away society that they don't bother trying to repair stuff anymore!

Gahh!!!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:47:38 PM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 05:55:23 PM »
Hi

On a separate note I have left the head standing upside down with some degreaser fluid in it. Unfortunately on Cyl 4 it has mostly leaked out through the valve seats after 4 hours so it looks like I can confirm that the valves may not be seating correctly on Cyl 4. Which may be the reason why it was not running on Cyl 4. But I am reserving judgement until I get the valves out and see what is going on for sure.

Cheers

John

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:41:07 PM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY

Offline M0WBY

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi

Well I dropped of my cylinder block at PJ motorcycle engineering in the Hampton's (Wolvehampton LOL makes it sound posh). They wanted one of the pistons with new rings on it to make sure that the honing is correct.

I figured that I was only a few miles away from the Motad factory in Walsall. So I decided to visit and see if I could not order my exhaust collars and fixing kit including bracket. Fair play the guy was a lot more compus mentus in person and I soon secured required items and left a happy bunny!

My mate who is a bit of a dab hand at welding reckons he will be able to repair my old exhaust but it will need chroming again afterwards!

I will get there!

Cheers

John

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:27:11 PM by M0WBY »
John Willby
M0WBY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal