Author Topic: Front Brake Adjustment  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Front Brake Adjustment
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
Dunno if its just me, ( if it is, delete this mods! ) but I have always had trouble adjusting the front brake on my 750 F1, the problem is the pads are in contact with the disk and twiddling the adjuster seems to have little affect. You can remove the front wheel and push the moving piston back into the caliper the pop the wheel back on but you run the risk of displacing brake fluid into the reservoir which can overflow and remove paint from your newly refurbed fork yokes, don't ask me how I know  :-[ you could also dismantle brake and temporarily remove moving pad.

Found an easier way, loosen the two bolts that hold the calipers together, insert a spacer twixt moving pad caliper and the bracket and nip them up, the moving pad is now clear of the wheel ( as long as you don't forget and put the brake on  ;) ) you can adjust the brake using just the static pad then remove spacer and retighten. For the spacer I used the handle part of the toolkit's C spanner.

I would caution against tightening the caliper bolts too much with the spacer in place as you might distort something, just enough to prevent play.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Front Brake Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
 hi ,

I have CB500-4

I had problems of the brake rubbing to much,pads not retracting,

I cured it by replacing the piston seal,nice fresh and flexible,it pulls the piston back
a treet,
also,if you remove the spring from the adjuster,and let the caliper move as it needs,it
inproves the braking,

the seal cost about £3.50 ish
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Front Brake Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Waggles, from what you say you have one of three problems

(1) crud behind the piston seal
(2) small hole in master blocking/blocked
(3) caliper pivot bracket seizing

If the bike had been stood for a long time also possibly jellified fluid in the flexible lines

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal