SOHC.co.uk Forums > Recommended Sources for Parts and Services

DIY Wiring loom - best quality components

(1/1)

Ewan 500 K1:
Hi, I'm just about ready to start making up a new wiring loom for me 500/4. The old loom is shot to bits and I'm doing a cafe job, so a standard loom isnt what I'm looking for. I want to build a custom loom and I want to use best quality wiring and connectors. Anyone got advice on a supplier?

matthewmosse:
Vehicle wiring products are who I've used, I prefer their old style wire to their high preformance stuff, it seems to take the crip connectors better(and neater with their std jap connectors which makes fitting new lights etc easyer) Auto sparks might be worth looking at too, I fitted one of their looms to our landrover and it was good quality, I think they both sell pretty well the same components quality wise. Ferret of Ferret custom wiring (featured in ccm a few years back) uses same stuff as vwp but gets it from their supplier as they wouldn't do him a sufficient discount for the very large quantities they use. As a rule I find the honda scotch block connectors are better quality so I now just replace the connectors with brass ones from vwp and re use the plastic housings - this keeps the right bundles of wire to together and uses the same mountings but on a custom job where the sidepannels got left off and things moved it might well be tempting to switch to a modern reg rec and smaller multi pin connectors to squeeze it all in a tighter space., just don't forget that reg recs do need to cool off so place them accordingly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version