Author Topic: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration  (Read 34744 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2014, 08:51:13 PM »
Looks spot on, I see you had an assistant though Pete, when training him did you use the carrot or stick approach?
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »
Looks spot on, I see you had an assistant though Pete, when training him did you use the carrot or stick approach?

No carrotts or sticks needed, his incentive is that he gets to ride the bike when its done,

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »
So did you go with new Stanchions in the end pete?

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
So did you go with new Stanchions in the end pete?

Yes  I would like to know too Pete.. not sure what to do with mine, they are great where chromed but a bit moth eaten where they clamp on the bottom yoke.

Cheers  ... Ashd
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:27:33 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »
Yes i did go with the new chrome staunchions i just could not bring myself to put rusty parts on a bike that will in effect be like new when done, i got them from DS, but if you go down that route be warned whoever he got to make these parts got it wrong you will find that the piston and valve ring do not fit as the chrome on the bottom takes the staunchion diameter out to far , i had to ream the inside of these parts so they fitted again, a proper pain in the arse, i know it is compulsory to kiss DS's arse and praise him for everything but i have had quite a few dissapointments with items he sells, however i still use him and on the whole am happy with most stuff ( there we go all is good i just kissed arse ha ha)
Anyway next thing is to build up the wheels, i just need a NOS front rim Old style DID , any one got one (fat chance of that)
Or does anyone know a decent chromer ,previous posts on here have exposed what an f--ing nightmare it is finding the right firm to do chroming
pete

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2014, 03:28:38 PM »
I am in regular email contact with DSS as I have been giving him some CB750 info he needs recently and he  did me some close up photos of the CB250SS he got of James May (off the 'ManLab' program) for  his forthcoming museum.
If anyone's got any issues with the stuff he is selling just put it on here (other than postage/shipping prices) and I will address it with him.
One thing I want to ask him to do is stock more Yamiya stuff, as some of the small stuff is reasonably priced but shipping/customs costs kill it.
I will definitely ask about the 750K0 stanchions Pete as I may need some from him myself.

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2014, 03:39:04 PM »
Good to know ash. Sorry for the thread hijack pete...Ash, could you ask him for a more definitive date on the availability of replica hm341's. Every time i ring and ask I get a different answer from every person I speak with...must be soon now? I'm after several sets...

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Thats a good idea, about giving him feedback i suppose if no one tells him he wont know, also stocking yamiya stuff is a great idea,
pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
Nice sunny weekend here in the UK, perfect day to strip and clean my carbs, took me two days but well worth the hard work, i spent about 3hrs on each carb cleaning with small tooth brushes, everthing has come up real well including all the zinc plated parts, i have loosely assembled them without the internals fitted as i will probably do some fine detailing work to them, probably strip and put a new zinc plating on some parts , the throttle stops have some corrosion so they will definetely be re-plated
Can anyone tell me the original finish to the float bowls, it appears to me they were polished and laquered, is that correct?, i have lightly polished them for now

pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2014, 08:43:05 PM »
Looking good Pete Far cleaner than mine I would be tempted to keep them like that people tend to go overboard polishing Ali on restorations.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, as for over polishing a restored bike i do know what you mean, it can sometimes spoil it, my aim is to have this bike as near as i can get to the original finishes that honda had at the time,
pete

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2014, 03:36:43 PM »
Lokoing good Pete and not over polished.

How did (DID :)) you get on with the wheelbuilding?

Cheers ... AshD

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
I have put that on hold as I am going to improve the finish on the hub its the sort of thing I Will regret if not done wel then its to late wthen the wheel is assembled
Petel

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2014, 06:01:01 PM »
Ok guys it was a shit rainy mid day here i have no money to spend but have some time on my hands so went about reshaping my ducktail seat, first picture is when i first put the seat together a while back, the rest are todays attempts, after numerous cover removals and carefully removing the foam at about 8mm a time, i took off over an inch in all , the seat is loosely assembled as in i have not attached the side trim or bent the tab hooks over at the back or cleaned it for that matter and the pictures do not really do it justice as in the flesh i think it looks fantastic i am chuffed to bits
what you fellas recon?

old picture

new pictures

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2014, 06:05:47 PM »
Looks good to me Pete. My arse would love that ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal