Author Topic: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration  (Read 34861 times)

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Diecast/ K0 restoration
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »
Hi Pete how did you get the bottom roller bearing on heat, freezer ???
Am I right in saying that its just the large washer that sits under the bearing nothing else ???
I am going to have a go at mine tonight !!!

Cheers
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2013, 07:54:54 PM »
Mick, yes i got them through ebay, they are genuine K0  Honda supplied shocks and they work out half the price of the same ones from DS,  what was up with your triumph?
 Stu, i heated the roller bearing up with a heat gun, and i have a special tool that is about 2mm bigger than the diameter of the inner case of the bearing and fits over the stem, so it can be slide hammered on without fear of chiving the metal, and yes i used thick washer and then the bearing , nothing else
Pete

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
Cheers Pete I might try my small length of scaff pole for size !!!

Regards Stu
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
Pete my triumph was running rough for sometime and then totally stopped running.It turned out to be abuse and neglect :-[I thought I had serviced it recently but it was about three years ago so the oil was like treacle,one blocked injector,one dead plug the other three were barely sparking and a leaking battery. Bloody work getting in the way. >:( it terns out I have only covered about 200 miles  in the last three years :o :-[   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
Stu as your probably aware you dont want to hit the outer casing inner only, the perfect tool for the job is a gpz550 fork tube, possibly a cb750 one will do as the outer size is the same 35mm
Mick i have a few bikes that dont get used enough its bloody hard work keeping everything running right
Pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 08:49:12 PM »
I am getting my bodywork ready to go to the painters, i had previously stripped the paint off the top of my tank but stopped short of doing the underside, its one of those horrible jobs but i got stuck in and stripped it bare,  it had to be done as i needed to see that it was not rusting,  alot of painters would just blow over the bottom without any prep, 
In the process of stripping it i revealed a date code on the tank, it looks to me to be 1 / 10 /69, so thats another one to add to my date codes on this build,
I am still in two minds whether to use the LPM side panels i have already bought or buy the ones with the mire mesh tabs from z1900, Also i need to get some new fork ears, i  cant believe reproduction ones are so costly, anyone have any suggestions where to buy fork ears ?
Pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
Hi Pete
I two am after a left hand fork ear unbelievably expensive.I managed to find the right hand one for £25 new :) but the left hand ones are an astonishing £135.
There are LPM panels fitted to my green bike they are far better than the originals.
I was going to send the gold bike to the painter this month but some selfish cow run into the side off my truck  >:( so now he is repairing that for me.
The gold bike is still in bits allover the floor it's taken me four months to get around to putting the bronze bushes in the swingarm. :-[
Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi Guys
This may interest you two.Like you said not cheap but take a look anyway.EBay fr number 200911027368 may be of help.Best of luck.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:43 AM »
Just delivered my bodywork to the painters, I am using Daytona paints as recommended by mick(green1)
i have asked Mark at Daytona to hand paint the tank stripes rather than use decals, the sancast forum confirmed this is the correct way for a K0, fingers crossed the guy will do a good job, the trouble is i am already having some regrets about using the LPM side covers and airbox, i thought they were good value for money and less brittle however those are the + points the minus points are no holes for badges, replica stamped on the inside, and worse of all is they have no tangs for retaining the grilles, anyway its to late now and all these points will not be seen , i also have massive problems with my head and barrels, i will do a post with pictures when i get time as i want some help here so i dont mess up building the engine, paul (sweetpeauk) is kindly helping me out with a 1mm base gasket spacer which might well help solve the problem,
Pete

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
Hi Pete
Funny I was going to strip the green bikes fork ears and headlight shell and drop them of with the gold bike tomorrow.I'm sure Mark will do a spiffing job.He will now have 750 parts coming out of his ears I got him to fit the badges to my LPM panels just because I didn't trust myself with a drill next to fresh paintwork.The LPM panels are well worth it as I put my knee through the original the first day I used the main stand  ::) Sorry can't help with the engine as I have decided not to touch mine until I need to as both run well and I have no were to do a rebuild.   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline jojotut

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2013, 11:32:36 AM »
Hi any chance of posting pictures of the sidestand fixing on the frame, mine is damaged (all I have is hole!) I wanted to get a new one fabricated. Also would appreciate any measurements you have.
All the best
JOJOTUT

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
Ok guys i have collected my paintwork and am very happy, the colour is perfect i had it matched using a NOS candy blue/green panel
Here is a complete photo collection of the work start to finish, notice he hand done the tank stripes at my request
the pictures were done on a camera phone and so are not perfect

First all parts degreased filled and keyed up ready for grey silver undercoat

next parts are given there first coat and at this stage any further inperfections are taken care of

Here we have the parts all sprayed up in the candy blue green

Tank going through masking and spraying of striping detail

And finaly the finished set of paintwork

I should also mention i had the painter do a spare set of fork ears, and my original airbox while he was doing all this
i am not sure wether to use original airbox or the repro one , here is the question what air box would you guys use original and risk it cracking or aftermarket?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:34 PM »
Lovely job there Pete. Looks like it was well worth the wait...can't wait to see this bike come together.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
looking good  8) 8)
You should have stopped in for a brew so I could have had a sneak peek 

Thank god it came out well it always worry's me when I recommend something to someone

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2013, 08:43:04 PM »
Thanks James, i am well pleased with it all,
as for finishing the bike i just can't see it coming to an end soon, i have to find a very good chromer, and some how find the really hard to get hold of HM300 pipes, rebuild the engine, and carbs plus a whole heap of other things then reasemble the bike
i am currently working on my xvs1100 bobber which is a great summer ride and totally different style to what i normally go for
mick thanks for the recommendation  i have taken my next project up for mark to be getting on with, i have so much work for him
when i pick up my next lot from mark i will see if your about and come and talk bike stuff with you
pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal