Author Topic: Tank / Panels paint recommendation sought  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Tank / Panels paint recommendation sought
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
Hi all,

Would like to revert my '77 F2 to the Parakeet Yellow of that year, can anyone recommend a good paint shop who'll do a great job - inc decals & lacquer coat? Been quoted at one place £350 + VAT inc the Sidepanels. (Hampshire / Reading area)

Alternative is to sell my tank / panels & buy the DSS parts, all complete @ £450+ VAT.  Anyone any experience of this replica tank quality / paint finish ... and comment whether it'd severely affect the value etc of my machine.

Cheers,
Lobo

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Tank / Panels paint recommendation sought
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
Doesn't the DS tank come in primer and the panels in black so you still have to get them painted

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
DSS now offer repro tanks + panels with decals finished in Varnish Blue or Parakeet Yellow. The blue around £390, the yellow at £450. Both tanks include fuel tap assy.

But the quality? Looking for (informed) comments ...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »
Thanks OddJob, have dropped them a line...
Cheers,
Lobo

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:54 AM »
If Dave Silver is putting his name to it the quality will be as good as original

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
..you have a good point there Bryanj. A big concern though is the lack of the 'Honda' decal on the tank - ie you presumably apply it over the lacquer (?) finish.  May look a bit naff / suffer fuel spills or simply lift at the edges?
Lobo
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:35:00 AM by Lobo »

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
There is always Andrew Parnaby, who does the painting for John Wyatt's Rising Sun restorations. I think his number is 07745595013. Only seen his candy yellow and black for a K2 and it was very good.

HTH

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
Not sure where you are Lobo but gasman said he used Ace of Sprays Bristol. Not sure if any outcome was posted though....
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »
Hi Lobo I used www.daytonapaint.co.uk excellent finish.He stripped the tank and repaired the dents,used proper epoxy paint, replaced the decals and two coats of clear coat He then fitted the tank badges and the trim,side panel badges that I supplied all for £375  :) 8)
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »
Forgot to mention I may be going to David Silvers Saturday I shall ask to look at the tank and panels and report back.
I will defiantly be sending my gold bike to Daytona Designs  as the finish is spot on
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Lobo
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:13:33 AM »
Thanks all, plenty to go at!  in the Hampshire area by the way...

Green 1, would be interested to know why DSS doesn't go the whole hog & apply all decals to their painted tanks. And David's thoughts on application of Honda / SuperSport decals on top of the lacquer coat? - a good thing?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
What a very disappointing day I've had to day  :( :( Made my way to DSS and bought another set of pattern pipes for a CB750. They bring out a box that someone has taken a knife too to hide the fact that they were made in Taiwan or somewhere similar not a problem I thought as the first set I bought were excellent.So I place them in the truck and turn my attention to the 400 four tank.I ask to see the yellow tank as it is a hard colour to spray.What a crap spray job incredibly thin you can see the gray primer underneath it looks like someone has been at it with a rattle can there were plenty of defects in the finish and the underside was still in primer.The decals were of poor quality.If I was to buy a tank I would buy it in primer and have it sprayed.The tank itself was made in Taiwan and of reasonable quality  and looked the part.So I get back home and check the pipes the first one I look at has a small dint,the second one has a pen mark on it to highlight a scratch,the third one has a small scuff and the forth one has two pen marks on it to highlight a scuff and a dint  :o :(   I phoned DSS and they are picking them up Monday and so we will go from there     
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 07:13:46 PM »
Hi Green 1
Today on the eBay Germany full 341 exhaust system 800 or 900 euros new they reckon there new don't know but also I have seen 300 single exhausts 800euros each.Which means they are still around but boy you have to pay for them.I can not believe in this day and age with the way things are Honda do not make them anymore.Frack me the Jap economy is shit these still sell at a incredible rate to make them richer and guess what we stop making them derrrrrrrrr.I wish I was so educated as them/
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »
Green 1. Incredibly disappointing news of DSS, I used them a lot this summer (small parts) and have not been disappointed. You must be well pi**ed off.
From my point of view a BIG thanks for taking the time to look at the -400 tank - you have saved me an awful lot of heartache as I was seriously considering the DSS route which would have given me a spare tank set for the cost of a re-spray. Phew, and owe you a beer or two...
Am also now concerned as just rebuilt (last night) a bank of carbs for my latest weakness ('72 CB750) using his pattern jets... and now read (on other forums these give trouble). Bloody hell...
Planning the same task on my 400F soon, anyone here able to comment on the reasonably priced pattern carb kits - or stay away & dig deep for OEM carb parts?
Cheers, Lobo.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal