Author Topic: Carb manifold woes!  (Read 6192 times)

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Carb manifold woes!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
;D  Yep, but even when I get it more or less on it pops off again!

Been there!  ;)
Second set of hands to tighten the clips whilst applying pressure to the inside of the air box, holding the intake rubber in position helped though...  8)
Problem was also enforced by the rubbers been worn/deformed, cone shaped, almost like a funnel...
Owner had no budget, thus we squeezed it back together as good as possible.
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
you can get new chamber rubber from david silver now
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline Dan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
Hi Mick,

Don't know if you have got this issue sorted but I had similar problems refitting the air chamber to my carbs. The main problem is that the original rubbers will have hardened with age and will not easily fit all the way onto the carbs.  You can overcome this by buying replacements (that come to around £40 with VAT and postage).

I used the old rubbers and managed to fit them by fitting the individual rubbers to each carb and then fitting the air chamber last.  To do this I had to soften each rubber with a heat gun and then fit to each carb and secure with the original jubilee clip.

With all 4 rubbers fitted to the carbs use the heat gun to soften the rubbers again, then pinch the ends of the rubbers so they fit into the holes in the air chamber.

There is not much space but with some perseverence and a few swear words it is possible to get the old rubbers to fit :)
1994 GSXR750WR Endurance rep
1975 CB400F ongoing project

Offline buxtonmick

• I must be mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 12:16:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I've been away with work for a while so just getting back into things and this weekend my son and I got this pita sorted between us using a heatgun and several tools in ways that they weren't designed for  ;D  See my other posts for the next stumbling block...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal