Author Topic: '75 CB750 High Idle Speed  (Read 3019 times)

Howard Roark

'75 CB750 High Idle Speed
« on: February 23, 2006, 05:40:27 AM »
Hey all,

This is my first post, so thanks in advance to all.  I'm a new motorcycle owner and got myself a 1975 CB750 which I absolutely love.  It rides wonderfully and is in great shape.  One of the few things that is \"wrong\" with it, however, is the idle speed - it starts up on the first try (with full choke and enough gas to keep it going, of course) and after a short while it warms up to idle just fine.  However, after it warms up all the way (usually takes a mile or so I'd say) it idles around 2,000-2,500 instead of the 1,000 it started out at (when I still had to make sure to give it gas so it wouldn't die while warming).  I thought about just adjusting the idle air screw (I think it's the one hanging down closest to the petcock), but I was worried that it might not start then.  I also think I read somewhere that this was kind of common....

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:'75 CB750 High Idle Speed
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi Howard, Welcome to the site,

I take it from your terminology (gas, petcock etc) your from the USA. Nice to have you aboard.

Hi idle can happen when the Idle speed was set when the engine wasn't warm enough. It wouldn't hurt to go for a good run and then set the idle speed, just turn it a little at a time. It may mean you have to wait a little longer for it to warm up.

Send a picture gallery@honda-sohc.co.uk with some details and I'll put it in the gallery
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal