Author Topic: 18 month layup, started on the button  (Read 1884 times)

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
18 month layup, started on the button
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:36:11 AM »
I'm so pleased with this I had to share. Took my k3 off the road for a couple of weeks to do a few odd jobs, over 18 months later I've just finished it. Not intending to leave it that long I did no up front prep, a couple of months in I added fuel stabiliser, in November I filled carbs with redex. Yesterday with nothing more than a new battery and draining the carbs it started literally on the button - no cranking, just near instant firing on all cylinders and a smooth tickover.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 18 month layup, started on the button
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
That's interesting.....and good too....but what stabilizer did you use?

I've been looking/reading about how the ethanol in fuels now is unstable and seems to be causing some of the problems that other people are posting about on here, but it seems like you have at least prevented that happening.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
I have a horrible feeling with so many bikes laid up i am in for big problems, i wish i had done the fuel stablizer thing or at very least drained off the carbs , its going to be my f2 for sure that shows up problems first, any excuse and the fuel injector nozels that squirt the fuel in when you rev will get blocked also those small press in jets seem to like a reason to block

Anyway well done totty for avoiding these problems
Pete

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
I was talking to a friend last week about this as he's working in the bike trade in America, and further to that discussion I've been looking at anything I can find to get a little more understanding of it.....have a look at this link as it has a very good discussion of what's happening that is very relevant to most of the stuff on this forum.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/27613-ethanol-in-shell-v-power/

Let us know what you think.

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »
I didn't run it after adding the stabiliser or drain the carbs up front so I'm crediting the clear jets to the time soaking in RedEx. I just pulled the hose from the tank and squeezed it in then drained before starting. It could be worth a try on your f2.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
K2 -K6 I think the way round it at the moment is using the more expensive 97ron premium, as quite a few of the manufacturers are not adding ethanol to this for various reasons
I read about it on a kawasaki forum but i cant find the link, it was very interesting reading
Pete

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal