Author Topic: New member looking to buy 1974 cb750  (Read 5245 times)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New member looking to buy 1974 cb750
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:36 AM »
There is the other side of the coin as well, i act on impulse and think if i dont buy now i will miss it, I have ended up with 24 bikes LOL!
Pete

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
Hi All.
I dare say most of us have done it hummed and arghed.When I missed out on a bike last time being many moons ago now I always thought after that
He who hesitates loses worked well since.Keep your chin up you never know whats around the corner.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

400/4Russ

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
Thank for the support guys,  I am bit disapointed, but in a way glad as I have plenty to be getting on with at the moment, finishing my 73 Suzuki gt550 & then starting into a 77 cb400f

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
If you ask me the classic market is booming. If something comes up you have to strike. Just my perception but what do others think?
I'd agree on this, probably cause the 'new' models offer less perspective for some/many...
And why spend like 15K on a bike that only 'looks' old?
OTOH are the prices for (used) spares raising as well...

(Even the ST1100 Pan-European scene starts to boom now, where the concept/model has grown >20 years...)
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
I hold with some of those comments....if it's definitely what you're after, then you should chase it down sooner rather than later.

If you are undecided.....then your mind gets made up for you as someone else buys it.....or if it's still there then you may get a better cost that makes it more of a possibility.

That Suzuki 550 is a nice bike.....first real bike I rode and it was my elder sister's boyfriend's bike that he let me have a run out on......I had just a moped at the time and the 550 felt so unbelievably fast, and oh-soooo addictive.....so much so that I don't think it's let up still... :)

Offline Tourettes

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »
Hello Russell and the rest of the forum. It's a small world, isn't it? I'm the guy who bought the 1974 CB750. I did a deal on £1275 and was origianlly going to cafe racer it after my 79 Bonnie semi-custom project I'm currently on. Having had time to have a good look I can report the following:
It is still on the original green log book and was originally registered to an address in Ballymena. It has had three further owners, all in the County Antrim area.
It was supplied with Akront alloy rims as an optional extra - these look original and still have the makers transfers on them. They are in very good condition and will polish up well.
The clock mounts are replacements and probably accounts for the clocks being the wrong way round.
The frame is in great condition for it's age and generally the bike looks well cared for. It is complete apart from the exhausts and centre stand (any members selling same??).
It started and ran well when I went to see it but I am damned if I can get it to run now. Could this be anything to do with me ordering the wrong battery? (+ and - the wrong way round) so I have suspended the battery from the outside of the frame.
The paintwork will need resprayed (still deciding what colour... Candy Gold, Planet Blue or Candy Red... or maybe metallic off white just because I think it would look really great).
Anyway, the carbs probably need stripped and balanced but I have promised not to start another project before the last one is finished.
I have decided it's too good to cafe racer so will fettle and keep original. Russell, when the weather turns and you fancy a coffee PM me and we will hook up.- I'm in Holywood.
Best regards to all - Mark
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:36:35 PM by Tourettes »

400/4Russ

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 06:38:09 AM »
Hi Mark,

I am glad your not going to cafe it as it too good a bike to do that with!  To me the bike deserves a full nut & bolt restoration.

There is not many early 70s cb750s about in NI especially those that have their original registration numbers,

Keep us updated with your progress with plenty of pics etc.

cheers

Russell
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:54:21 AM by 400/4Russ »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal