Author Topic: Battery cable size?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Battery cable size?
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
Can anyone tell me what size/amperage battery cable I need, I'm fitting the battery under the seat hump but the starter solenoid will be at the rear of the fuel tank so the run from the battery to solenoid will be a little longer than standard.
Also does the earth cable have to go to the RH engine mounting bolt as it does on the standard K7, or will anywhere on the frame be ok?, cheers Mark.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Battery cable size?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
Given that length of run Mark, I'd use the largest cable you can fit in the gap.
Tip: check out welding cable as it is very flexible. I used it on some jump leads I made up (you can't buy bike jump leads and the car ones normally have massive croc clips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:52:27 AM »
Hi Mark,

170A cable should be OK, noting that the CB750 starter typically draws 120A ... but 280A at stall.

Take care if simply earthing to a frame point... as all of those above 120-280 amps will have to pass through this connection on their way into the frame... and thence through the various engine mount bolts & to your starter. (which is using the engine casing as an earth)

For my money, you'd be better, if possible, doing it the Honda way & choosing a nice big bolt which goes through a very solid frame point & also (electrically) bonds the engine casing. Wherever you decide to attach this, -bearing in mind the loads it carries.. scrape away all paint etc & get the connections down to bare metal. Don't pick any bolt which goes through vibration mounts - as these will insulate any current from flowing.

If a good connection is not made you run the very real risk of melting your loom (earth) down the track... see the photos as posted on this forum about a year ago.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:39:41 AM by Lobo »

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:53:46 PM »
Hi Mark,

170A cable should be OK, noting that the CB750 starter typically draws 120A ... but 280A at stall.

Take care if simply earthing to a frame point... as all of those above 120-280 amps will have to pass through this connection on their way into the frame... and thence through the various engine mount bolts & to your starter. (which is using the engine casing as an earth)

For my money, you'd be better, if possible, doing it the Honda way & choosing a nice big bolt which goes through a very solid frame point & also (electrically) bonds the engine casing. Wherever you decide to attach this, -bearing in mind the loads it carries.. scrape away all paint etc & get the connections down to bare metal. Don't pick any bolt which goes through vibration mounts - as these will insulate any current from flowing.

If a good connection is not made you run the very real risk of melting your loom (earth) down the track... see the photos as posted on this forum about a year ago.
Cheers.
Thanks Lobo, I will retain the original engine mount earth as you have suggested.
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal