Author Topic: Clutch Adjustment  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Garryk

• View Profile
Clutch Adjustment
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »
Im setting my clutch following my owner's manual,it says "Turn the clutch cable adjusting bolt located at the clutch housing side of engine in "A" direction so that there is 3/4" of free play at the end of the clutch lever",,, for some reason im only getting 1/2" free play at clutch lever with clutch cable loose,i have added a photo of my clutch lever,im measuring the gap between clutch lever and black clutch lever bracket where you can see the clutch cable exposed,im thinking im measuring from the wrong place.
Any ideas out there.
Garryk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:31:35 AM by Garryk »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
You are, you need to measure from the ball end of the lever towards the handlebars ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Garryk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »
Hi Hairygit,thanks for your help
With both ends of cable loose my free play at the very end of ball on lever is 2" after that im pulling on the cable,so im not really sure why I cant get 3/4" free play as stated in my owners manual.
The reason  I started adjusting my clutch, my clutch was nearly fully out before the engine started to bite, i would rather have a short clutch but have fiddled about and cant achieve this, so I guess its back to the long clutch, i know the clutch is set properly by the manual its just the cable measurements aren't correct, looks like im going to have to set cable the way I used to set my old Triumphs up, by feel.

Garryk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:45:50 AM by Garryk »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
Is it a genuine or pattern cable? and is it old or new? Don't foregt there are 2 adjusters for the cable, one at the engine and one at the bars
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Garryk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:20:48 PM »
Yes know about the two adjusters, unsure if the cables pattern or Honda but it looks in good order.
Just went and bought a Honda clutch cable to be on safe side,as I know the pattern parts can be different fit,plus handy to have spares.

Thanks for your help
Garryk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:46:36 PM by Garryk »

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:45 AM »
Had similar problems with a pattern cable ( and pattern throttle cables too )

Genuine OEM cables are more expensive but they fit and are well made, plus you shouldn't be buying them too often.

Offline Garryk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:33 AM »
Cheers Waggles
Went and bought full set of OEM cables for my bike,just finding the time to fit them now :).
Cheers
Garryk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal