Author Topic: CB550 Fork Seals  (Read 4788 times)

Jay2

CB550 Fork Seals
« on: May 02, 2006, 02:40:22 PM »
Hi guys, How chuffed am I to find this forum - I'm chuffed, chuffed is what I am.

It's not my normal way to burst onto a new forum and ask for help, but here I am bursting onto a new forum - asking for help.

I've recently got my hands on a 1977 CB550K Four and have just put it through the MOT to enjoy the summer on before I start to restore it.

It has failed on 1 fork seal and so I've managed to relieve the ever helpful David Silver of a pair and some dust covers.

All I need now is some info on how to change them.  I've got a Haynes Destruction Manual which might help but I guess if anyone has any pointers which will help me avoid 1) an accident involving my much loved fingers or 2)having to buy a new front end, I'd be more chuffed than I currently am.

Cheers

Jay

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re:CB550 Fork Seals
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:33:45 PM »
It's pretty easy really.

First drain the old oil by undoing the drain screws and pumping the forks up and down (not too hard initially or the oil will shoot across the garage!)

Remove the front wheel and mudguard.
Remove the brake caliper.
Remove the forks (one at a time)

Remove and discard the old dust cover.
Remove the spring clip inside the fork leg with a flat bladed screwdriver.
Ease out the old seal with the same screwdriver... (sometimes easier said than done)
Clean around the \"ledge\" that the seal is seated against.
Fit new seal and push into fork leg using a suitably sized socket and a soft hammer. Push it down until it stops against the ledge.

Reassemble in reverse order.

Fill with the correct amount of fork oil.

Bleed brakes (might as well while its all apart)

Done.

Last time I did this on a 500 was about 20 years ago so soory if I've forgotten anything. I did my son's CG125 this winter and the old seals were real bastards to get out!  Ended up destroying them with a big lever!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »
Hi Jay

I'm chuffed your chuffed, in fact I'm chuffing chuffed.

Fork seals are easy as SteveD says, The only bind is the are chuffing hard to remove and you will do a lot of chuffing getting them out.

The only thing I'll add is this:

I reacenly did the ones on a '78 750F2 and after draining the oil, (which looked like milk) and removing the dust cover the spring clips may be corrorded beyond recognition and had to be replaced

And I think Steve missed the step about removing the bottom bolt that secures the stanction in the fork bottom.

Have fun and welcome to the site.

John
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 10:25:46 PM »
Ah yes, the bottom bolt.  He'd have noticed it eventually!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal