Author Topic: 71' CB750 oil tank  (Read 1625 times)

Offline JB373

• View Profile
71' CB750 oil tank
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
Newbie help required please.....I have been building a cafe/brat style 750 and have replaced a big chrome oil tank that came on the bike I bought with a smaller black one that I bought on eBay from a later model. The one I took off had a vent tube but the new one doesn't - will this cause any issues? I have only ridden it a maximum of 15 miles but the oil tank gets very hot (too hot to touch) is this normal? Any advice gratefully received. Pics can be seen here if interested - Www.shedcustom.wordpress.co.uk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 71' CB750 oil tank
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
The oil does get hot, how much oil does the tank you have hold? the more the better for cooling

Offline JB373

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Thanks - I'm not sure of the size but it is smaller than the original so maybe that's an issue. Do you you know if it would be a problem not having a vent pipe?

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
As Bryan says the more oil the better both for cooling and time between oil changes. If the new tank is a standard CB750 one then you should be OK but if its smaller than standard I would reduce the time between oil changes.

Another thing to consider is the scavenge side of the oil pump has a greater capacity than the supply side to ensure the dry sump is dry, this means the oil returning to the tank has air in it. this froths out as the oil sinks down in the tank. Too small an oil tank may give a risk of the oil still having air in it when it hits the supply side which wouldn't be good.

As for the vent, its there for a reason! I have never tried this but I would imagine the tank might pressurise a bit and this might be a problem with the air in the oil not being able to bubble out so easily perhaps. Think it would be safer to fit a vent, perhaps in the cap? Try running the bike then immediately removing the cap to see if there is any pressure there, if not, perhaps the cap already has a vent?

Offline JB373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Thank you - that is very helpful. I'll take it for a run tonight and see if there's a pressure build up. Like you I figured the vent was there for a reason - may be I'll go back to the original to be on the safe side

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal