Author Topic: chrome parts on the carbs  (Read 1118 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
chrome parts on the carbs
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »
Hi,
A guy called John ( on this forum) is stripping, cleaning and re zincing all the bits of my carbs. the lifters are a alloy with like plastic y chrome on them. has any one had these re chromed successfully? :)
Billy
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:25:23 PM by billy192 »
Thanks
Billy

Offline Waggles

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: chrome parts on the carbs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
Guess thats a 'no' Billy! Mine were OK surprisingly ( bearing in mind the state of everything else! ) I know the bits you mean and heaven knows what that actual coating is, as you say it makes the parts look plastic. Treat with care I'd say, If you have the coating off then your plater could advise. guess it depends on how bad they are. Second hand carbs often come up on the bay you may find some better ones?

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Hi Billy,
A while ago I messed with a spare set cleaned them up wire brushed and spray painted with a chrome spray came up really nice.What I did not realise was the spray paint was not petrol resistant and started to come off slowly.As they were just a spare set gave up on it.Is there a petrol resistant type paint available?Maybe the stuff they use on heads cylinders etc is good enough.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
Well good news, I gave them to Castle Chrome and he said they were the same material as the original indicators, he called it monkey metal and is charging £25 to re-chrome
trouble is I have to wait 5 weeks.
Never mind i do have the engine to re-bore new 0.75 OS pistons and 8 new valves so I wont get bored.
Billy
Thanks
Billy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal