Author Topic: rewire - what size/spec of wire  (Read 7726 times)

ka-ja

Re: rewire - what size/spec of wire
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
Hi Ewan
                 Snap with the wheels three weeks ago, only mine was the rear roadrider tyre, irritating when you are on your hands and knees fitting the axle pin to see an arrow 6 inches from your eyes pointing the wrong way-ooops.
                 As to my wiring ideas, I started doing individual circuit drawings because of the miniature ones in manuals, it is easier to know the exact circuit before you wire it!-----------------------------Ken

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
splashed out £15 for a decent diagram from Kojacat (Laminated A3 ).... doesnt quite match my bastardised 500/550 old loom , but should be handy enough and deffo loads better than clymer / haynes / honda worksop manual versions.

http://kojaycat.co.uk/epages/950000457.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950000457/Categories/Motorcycle_Wiring_Diagrams

There's also this one, that maybe you've seen . You click on the wee table at the bottom and it switches different subcircuits on and off;
http://oldmanhonda.com/MC/wiring500.html . Still think the Kajacat one is the best though. 

Just need to see how many more diversionary tactics I can think off before I actualy start on the loom . Wire, sleeving, block connectors and battery arrived yesterday.
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
Started building the new wiring loom and relocatiing the electrics today ... going do okay so far...fingers crossed (will put some photos on my build thread soon) ... just two issues:

a) I've ordered the wrong block connectors ..anyone know of a supplier of 6mm blade hitachi connectors that are direct replacement for the OEM ones. Dont really want to have to replace all the ones on the end of the components , just the loom side.  I've tried all of Vehicle Wiring Products, SG Motorssport, Kojaycat and Auto - electric supplies, but none have the correct ones

b) There's several places in the wiring where 3 or 4 wires all need connecting togeather at the same point. Eg indicator switch,  front indicator, winker idiot light, rear indicator feed all connect via one of these connectors in the headlamp shell. On the original there are 4 point female bullet sockets .. ie allows four wires to be connected to one other wire at the same point , again anyone know of suppliers for these, cant find then anywhere either
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 11:05:11 PM by Ewan 500 K »

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 11:01:55 AM »
There is no know supplier of direct replacement block connectors mate, there is a firm in the US that does the 4 way connectors but I am on holiday with limited internet till the 18th so I cant link you to it till them sorry

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Found it!!

Go to  www.vintageconnections.com  looks like they now do some block connectors as well!!

If you make up an order let me know and I will add to it and share the postage as that can be a killer mate

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 10:04:21 PM »
Found it!!

Go to  www.vintageconnections.com  looks like they now do some block connectors as well!!

If you make up an order let me know and I will add to it and share the postage as that can be a killer mate

Cheers for that one Bryan> had a gander and the 3 / 4 way female bullet connector slook good... they even have the 3.5mm bullets that fit the 500 as stock ... but been in the shd all ay converting it to 3.9mm bullets  ??? The block connectors look like a different pattern though, so wouldnt let me keep the stock conectors on the sublooms. But there must be someone on the planet with them , coz I presume that the Dave Silver harness and ignition swith must use the original connector types. Anywat I'd stil be interested in some of those three / 4 way bullet connectors . Say :
25 TS1 4mm Triple-Socket Terminal: 4mm (0.157") Tinned Brass 4mmTriple Socket Terminal + Insulator  = $12.50   (50 cents each)
whta do you reckon , how do you wnt to sort it out ? ... worth seeing if anyone else need these or 3.5mm bits ?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
Can you hold off till the 19th mate, i'm in deepest Norfolk, if I walk out the door me feet get wet and I aint on the broads! means the dongle reception is intermittent (being polite!!) but pm me a phone number and I will ring you after 8pm when I am driving at work

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
no worries , will PM you. No hurry now as I've got past the part of the loom that uses those bullet connectors. I'll just retrofit them when they land. Will PM you my numba .Is it raining  8)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 11:49:07 PM »
Just enough to stop me hearing the waves on the beach mate, about 10 miles south of cromer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal