Author Topic: 135 miles in  (Read 2258 times)

Offline pptom

• View Profile
135 miles in
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:38 AM »
Well, here it is:

135 miles on the clock so far, I've put new Hagon shocks on and their progressive springs, also fitted some low rise bars last night, courtesy of Busa, which make me feel a little more connected with the front end. Removed the mirrors also - I'm used to riding without them and i think the bike looks better. Don't those pipes sound awesome!!

I had a problem with the bike running very weak (poss on 3) after getting into the higher rev range, also throttle response was a bit random - thought it was a fuelling thing, maybe picking up some dirt out of the tank so cleaned out the bowls but it made no odds, ordered a new carb o ring kit with the view to stripping and cleaning them, but in the meantime chucked in some new plugs (£6 for 4 from Halfords with my trade card) and the problem is sorted! the old ones must have been breaking down.

Things still to sort are:
Tyres - the front is particuarly bad, in fact the worst tyre I've ever rode, horrible - its a Conti 'super twin' ribbed. It tramlines really badly and i don't like the profile, so i'm planning a new pair of BT45's in the next few weeks

Front brake is also pretty poor - I've had better drums - might pick up some new pads and fluid today from the local EBC trade counter - that should sort it - also there is pretty minimal lever pull - is that normal?

Laquer - don't know what the stuff is on the tank, but i had an issue the other week when i wiped a bit of it with a cloth that had brake cleaner on - immediately melted the Laquer, which i left for a day or so to re-harden, before wet sanding and polishing which restored it, last weekend i managed to splash a little fuel when filling up and got the same reaction, so it looks like i'll have to re-laquer the tank with some petrol proof stuff - my worry is that the new stuff will react with the old so I'll have to do a test piece underneath first

Swingarm bearings - I don't think they are that bad, minimal movement in the arm, but i gather there should be none at all - got some bronze bushes from Germany, but i think that will be a winter job, along with a full carb clean.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: 135 miles in
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:38 AM »
Looking good.
If you haven't stripped the front brake and serviced it I would do it sooner rather than later.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:40 AM »
Very nice bike!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46:57 AM »
Honda lacquer does not soften that easily so must have been sprayed, front brakes are not brilliant and should not have lots of lever play, as to swing arm pump it full of grease from both ends and forget the bronze bushes, re grease is idealy every 500 miles nowadays

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
Thanks chaps, just picked up the new brake pads and got another trade card bargain from Halfords - Brake Fluid - £7.50 on the shelf - £1.90 to me  8)
Greased the swinging arm the other week, will still fit the new bushes - just gives me a chance to get my bike fix in the winter - I trade riding for maintaining, can't keep still at night, I'd much rather be in the garage working than sat watching the telly.

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 06:21:06 PM »
great bike,

if you swop the tyres,I use the avons,roadrider AM 26 front and rear,running 29psi front and between 33-36 psi rear,
they have transformed the handling,very sharp,great edge grip,and wet/greasy grip,

recently got some FA013 EBC pads,after servicing the caliper,and new fluid,found them very dissappointing,until a ride in heavy rain,
this seemed to clean the pads,so much better now,

enjoy the summer,and ride as much as your can,

John
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
Just put those exact pads on and got some really grotty fluid out, gave it a real good flush - oh well, I'll see how they ride - can't be too much worse.
EBC are great in Northampton, its their UK distribution base and they also have a small trade counter in town - I can get pretty much any EBC part within a couple of hours and the price is not too shabby either - saves paying and waiting for Royal Mail.

Was thinking about the roadriders until i read that lots of people suffered from very premature side wall cracking - how are yours?

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
mine have lasted well,

I get about 4,500 from the rear,and just about run 3 rears to one front !!

the front will need changing soon,

the walls are ok

as I said,love the grip,can ground the footrest on roundabouts,and very stable on fast open roads,
still running original rear shocks after 52K and 39 yrs
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:15:30 PM by Johnwebley »
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal