Author Topic: Which gearbox oil for an old Triumph?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Which gearbox oil for an old Triumph?
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:46 AM »
Any thoughts on what I should use for gearbox oil for an old Triumph - T100 500cc from 1960. The Haynes manual says SAE 90 gear oil, but I've not been able to locate that in the local car/Halfords in Hertford..

Does anyone here use anything widely available for this type of application?

-  I'm on holiday next week so looking forward to getting down to some fettling!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Which gearbox oil for an old Triumph?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
Halfords Halfords Gear Oil EP 80W/90 GL-4 1L

Having looked online I may have answered the question for Halfords - does anyone use this stuff? Suitable for an old Triumph.

Any other brands that are recommended?
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
EP was designed for diffs but will work happily in gearboxes, you don't need the expensive synthetics or semi synthetics just straight mineral oil

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
I was told not to use EP in old boxes as at will damage the bronze bearings - i think it was one of those rumours going around.
Went into our local Norton experts shop (Mick Hemmings - google him - works on them and raced them for years + is a bit of a gearbox expert) and all he sells is modern EP, so I thought if its good enough for him.....
I ran it in my rebuilt T100a engine with no problems. And you can easily get it from Halfords, that stuff will be fine.
Tom

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Hey Tom, do you know Mick Hemmings well?
I've got a '71 commando engine and gearbox that I need restoring and wondered if he's still taking on this type of work..? Hope you're enjoying the Brown 550...J

Offline pptom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
He's still going mate, still got the shop - must be near retirement age now, but I asked him about rebuilding my Dommie 99 gearbox about 3 months ago and he said it would be after Christmas till he got round to it as he was so busy.
He's always got plenty on - recently Peter Williams has announced that he's putting together a run of new bikes and Mick is doing the engines and boxes for these (15 I think), so i wouldn't think he'll be quick.
I rebuilt my Dominator engine last year after the camshaft woodruff key sheared (no damage luckily) I used one of Micks engine rebuild DVD's and it was a pretty easy process really, you're more than welcome to borrow it if you fancy? He also does a gearbox DVD.
I also use the same machine shop that he does for all of my engine work, so they're pretty clued up on Norton stuff - I'll happily drop anything to them if you like.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:12 PM »
Thanks Tom. Appreciate that - yeah I've joined the owners club and purchased both DVD's so may well have a go myself. Just not used to working on British stuff, so will need to invest in some imperial tools and I know the 20M3 commando engine requires a few special tools. I'll drop you a line when I know which direction I'm going in. Cheers, James.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal