SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

Which gearbox oil for an old Triumph?

(1/2) > >>

andy120t:
Any thoughts on what I should use for gearbox oil for an old Triumph - T100 500cc from 1960. The Haynes manual says SAE 90 gear oil, but I've not been able to locate that in the local car/Halfords in Hertford..

Does anyone here use anything widely available for this type of application?

-  I'm on holiday next week so looking forward to getting down to some fettling!

andy120t:
Halfords Halfords Gear Oil EP 80W/90 GL-4 1L

Having looked online I may have answered the question for Halfords - does anyone use this stuff? Suitable for an old Triumph.

Any other brands that are recommended?

Bryanj:
EP was designed for diffs but will work happily in gearboxes, you don't need the expensive synthetics or semi synthetics just straight mineral oil

pptom:
I was told not to use EP in old boxes as at will damage the bronze bearings - i think it was one of those rumours going around.
Went into our local Norton experts shop (Mick Hemmings - google him - works on them and raced them for years + is a bit of a gearbox expert) and all he sells is modern EP, so I thought if its good enough for him.....
I ran it in my rebuilt T100a engine with no problems. And you can easily get it from Halfords, that stuff will be fine.
Tom

JamesH:
Hey Tom, do you know Mick Hemmings well?
I've got a '71 commando engine and gearbox that I need restoring and wondered if he's still taking on this type of work..? Hope you're enjoying the Brown 550...J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version