Author Topic: Job Lot on EBAY  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Job Lot on EBAY
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
Me Too Bryan.
Why on earth do these people hoard this stuff?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
Me Too Bryan.
Why on earth do these people hoard this stuff?
Cheers
Bitsa
people hoard this stuff then sell it on to us who then begin a new hoarding process lol

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »
I have a similar hoard of cb500 and 550 bits, probably more but next to nothing new - Why the hoard exsists, simply I used my 500 and the 550 as daily + all year commuting transport for nearly a decade, come rain or snow and occasionally in sun! the result was I always needed to have spares to hand due to how pathetic our local bike shop was and not wanting to trawl through breakers and pay premium prices. Brake caliper if you Need it now could cost £60 vs a complete bike @ £100, only problem you now have a bike that just needs a caliper. I understand there are now pattern calipers from David Silvers ::) It is nice to know I have a few projects to get on with once the kids get a bit bigger, and I think the toddler is already showing a good interest in the shed so he'll be able to helicoil a exhaust stud before he can reach the footpegs.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:58 PM »
Cool. I could give up bingo and crosswords with that lot.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline busa

• busa
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
its no wonder we can get any parts.  this fella has got them all in one place.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »
 ;) yes I agree with you all , why do we hoard this stuff ::)  we have all been there done it and still doing it. if they was ko's id be camping outside his house now. that was the way of the world years ago before eBay ,it was cheaper to pick up a doner bike or engine than go to the local bike dealer and pay over the counter for new parts, I cant even remember how many chopper projects I have seen rotting away in some ones back garden, I'm on my fifth CB750 k0 last time on the road was 1988 and what a wreck and its going to be my last, I said that about the first ,second ,third, and I still ain't finished , I still own all five and cant bear to part with them, because I have spent so much money time and effort.
       I just wonder sometimes where these projects are going ,as later generations do not have the interest we have ,and when they can buy a modern retro for around two grand ,I can only hope we keep them long enough to recover some of our outlay, my daughter has already said she will skip em  or make em into cafe racers when I pop my clogs   >:(  and she rides a bike now ffs
      I dread to think what them five Honda's will cost to restore ,throw in five sets of exhausts  with them new wheel rims and you are up to ten grand for starters plus the initial cost of buying them :o a very ambitious project for some one with the bank balance of bill gates as well as the muscles of Charles atlas, and will be older than god by the time they are finished. happy bidding ;)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
I'm a bit young to be into these bikes from nostalgia so I think their future is going to be sound (plenty of others my age and younger who appreciate classic motoring ).  As projects they can cost a lot less to get rideable - I tend towards the coat of paint plus a bit of effort and get it an mot scale as i like the patinated \ well used look plus spend too much and the bike becomes too valuable to use. On that basis a bike can be bought back from the brink on a £500 budget inc tyres and a few weeks in the shed or less.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

ka-ja

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:50 PM »
Hi,
     All I can say is how come the only barn finds I see are on Ebay, I never seem to come across anything like that in a barn, someone must beat me to them,
          My only find years ago was a KTT velocette, and the "owner" knew exactly what he had and wanted double what it was worth.---Ken

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 08:45:14 PM »
Our barns hold a few projects that might fit 'barn find' like the bmw's r90and r80 twinshocks and a mono airhead. Not to mention the boat in the yard and assortment of classic industrial mowers. Ebay is the place to sell off these things azure if one doesn't know the value then it opens it up to such a wide audience.  A lot of barn finds are there as stuff is thought to be worth more then it will get locally or it has sentimental value. Our landy was such a barnfind as are a few of my bikes- only some are off ebay and even on ebay the odd bargin can pop up.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »
Have to agree that the advent of eBay had been a bit of a game changer with regard to things being exposed to a wide audience and finding their true 'value'. I sold a non-running but very original Suzuki GT550j earlier this year (quite a niche bike) for a lot more than I was expecting. The buyer was delighted  so I guess eBay works well for sellers - but you're right, if you look hard / get lucky you do find some gems.

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
 :o  I would never have thought they go for that much nearly three grand.most of that stuff is only good for the skip  there is boat loads of this stuff coming from the states every month I cant even see him getting his money back out of that lot  ;) but that's just my opinion

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
you should see my hoard of assorted keys that I've lost the locks for
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal