Author Topic: Battery Amp/H question ???  (Read 9948 times)

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Amp/H question ???
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
Only downside I can see is trickle charging is a big no-no, needs remembering. .... Big plus for me is that I'm away from the bikes for long spells, and on return no noticeable discharge.

Hi Simon - what does "remembering" mean?

I have fitted the MotoBatt replacement spec to my std 400F. It's a tight fit into the battery box and I had to omit the rubber sleeve over the upper retaining tang but I was wondering what to do with it over winter. I only have an old-school car charger so I was thinking just to disconnect it and leave it.

But as to normal (that is occasional) use and starter motor performance - really good.

1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 12:41:12 PM »
Er, ah, yeah I see. I had ideas of charge/discharge memory - reading too much into it, obvoiusly  :D
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
Hiya Tom,
Yup, perhaps an unfortunate choice of words what with batteries & charge memory!
Anyways, agreed, if not using the bike best to isolate the battery completely: if the blurb is to be believed they'll go a year with no appreciable discharge.
I too only have a good old fashioned car charger... and will use this if necessary. One other possible thought is my multi battery type / voltage electric RC Heli charger - a fancy bit of kit & in all likelihood adaptable - given a bit if research. Better informed comments on this out there pls?
Cheers,
Simon

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:02 PM »
Hello Simon, thanks for your vote of confidence a few posts back there. I'm less equipped than others on here in electrical theory though so I'll learn just as much from this as anyone. My training is principly mechanical engineering, so it's more valid to advise in that field.

I'm ok working with and diagnosing faults but certainly less skilled toward specifying elctrical systems than other members so will just watch this one with interest.

Interesting you mention RC batteries as I'm just getting more familiar with those as my son has started flyng small helis with LiPo, so trying to look after those.....apologies to the main questions for being off topic.

Nigel.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »
...slight thread drift, tho' an indication of the power of modern Lithium based batteries.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BS_qI4lFU0

These things have 60-120Amp speed controllers to their brushless motors.

And nope, not me. I wish...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:45:35 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal