Author Topic: Fitting rear wheel k3  (Read 4292 times)

MIKE550/4

Fitting rear wheel k3
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
having a problem getting rear wheel fitted can someone give a quick guide on refitting

thought this would be quite simple but the main spindle is catching somewhere

I have basically lined up wheel with adjuster in place and gone to slide the spindle through and its getting caught

adjuster is no 24

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550k3-four-england_model14671/partslist/F11.html

what am I doing wrong guys , new bearings and new tyre fitted

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
Re: Fitting rear wheel k3
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »
You're inserting the axle from the left hand side ?
ou're trying to pu axle through tensioner, through swing arm , through hub, through brake plate , through spacer , through other tensioner, through other side of swing arm ? ... ie trying to put axle on while also attaching the wheel to the swing arm at the same time ?

Its maybe getting stuck when through the hub and  trying to find the hole in the brake cover ?

If you are trying to put the axle through the swing arm at same time as the wheel , the other way of doing things is to assemble the hub/ brake plate / axle / adjuster / spacer /nut OFF the swing arm. Just putt the nut on a wee bit. Then you can take off the two axle retainers (stoppers) .. part 10 in this parts diagram:

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550k3-four-england_model14671/partslist/F20.html#results

Then slot the axle, adjusters, hub , brake plate, spacer assembly in from the rear of the swinging arm and then tighten the nut. I find this method easier as otherwise its can be a pain in the erse getting all the holes lined up to accept the axle.

You've checked that the axle fits through all the holes in seperate components okay ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:03:34 PM by Ewan 500 K1 »
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

Offline totty

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:09:39 AM »
I tend to use a screwdriver in the opposite side to the axle to move everything into alignment. This along with something under the wheel to support it at the right height makes it nice and easy. Although Ewans off the swing arm method does sound better.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:16 PM »
personally I use a hefty phillips screwdriver - I happen to have a busted tip one for that job, just to keep things alighned  from the opposite side, but after dammaging the threads I will not use either a punch or flat bladed screwdriver as it is possible to wedge one in the gap.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

MIKE550/4

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »
cheers guys

going to buy a small lift

what would the weight be of the bike frame,engine, front end and 2 wheels be roughly

looking at one of them small scissor lift jacks

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:29:49 PM »
at a guess,about 200kg

that will give a small margin
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »
cheers guys

going to buy a small lift

what would the weight be of the bike frame,engine, front end and 2 wheels be roughly

looking at one of them small scissor lift jacks

If its to help get the back wheel on / off , you shouldn't need it . The back end should be high enough by just putting it on the centre stand. Have you manged to get it sorted yet ? ;)
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

MIKE550/4

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »
not yet its basically lying on 2 bits of solid wood, seem to have to get the front end up a fair bit hence the idea to get a lift.

will keep on trying but it seems pretty heavy to me just to lift it up

PS I am on the rebuild now with clean parts, basically have frame with swingarm fitted, centre stand and front end
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:29:27 PM by MIKE550/4 »

MIKE550/4

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
 ;D maybe but the front end is more than few inches well feels like it

will try again at week end with a mate... be nice to have a rolling frame again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal