SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Knocking forks

(1/4) > >>

Ian DB:
My new (to me) CB500 K2 forks knock when you rock the bike backwards and forwards as if the forks are extending to their maximum and the damper rod is  hitting the top of the damper? I have stripped the forks, replaced the seals, refilled them with the correct amount of oil and added 10mm spacers between the top of the springs and damper rod lock nut, just for a bit of added preload as they seemed a little soft, and it still hasn't cured it. All in all the forks appeared to be ok when I had them stripped down.

Also I have noticed that when you rock the bike with the brake held slightly on, there as an amount of knocked that comes from what appears to be the free play in the pads/calipers. The pads are new and although the previous owner didn't smear the sides and back of the pads with silicone grease, I have now done this and also added shims on the top and bottom of the caliper pivot pin to remove any up and down play, the knocking still remains but is only slightly improved.

Having only ridden modern bikes until this getting this one its seems a bit strange.

Cheers
Ian

WPF81S:
I suspect you need to adjust the headstock bearings. Regards Iain

Ian DB:
Hi Iain

I did that while the front end was stripped down, athough I have retained the original ball bearing arrangement for now as they also appeared to be in good conditon

Ian

Green1:
Hi Ian I had the same thing with my 750 sounds like your forks are in slightly twisted.Slacken everything don't forget the front mudguard and spindle.Do up the top yoke and then rock the bike back and forth with the front brake on and then do everything up again.

Mick 

Ian DB:
Hi Mick, Thanks for that, will give it a go and see how we get on.

Cheers

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version