Author Topic: head dowels  (Read 1670 times)

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
head dowels
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:38:52 PM »
just finished my head build and found I put four new dowels and rubbers and new o rings on the inside bolts. after torquing the head in two stages putting the cam on and setting the tappets i was a happy bunny.
today I found a bag with two dowels in marked LH and RH Head. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

what will happen if I run this engine?
I have it in a rig with the idea of running it then torquing the head run some more and if no oil leakes put into frame.
Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: head dowels
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:01:07 PM »
Billy,
Do these go on the outside centre of the cylinders left and right?
Do not know for sure but if it were me I would take it down again and fit them. It would bug me forever.
Sorry not good news for you but with all your work do you want to tust this?
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
no i did put them in

and

but not the very outside front ones

see bottom right
well I have ordered a new head gasket from DS
hey ho as you said Bitsa, i will always be thinking of them especaily when i am doing 110 LOL
Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
Billy
On second thoughts are they the ones that go on the front of the cylinders most outer studs?Anyway like you said your doing the right thing take a look on the dutch site parts diagram you will not regret it.
Best of luck
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
I'd agree with Bitsa in that it's easier to check and correct now rather than further down the line. Looks like you're getting a nice rebuild done there and would be a shame to have to pull it out later to correct something that is relatively easy now.

Just a small observation about the gasket sealant in the pictures, I always try to get the absolute minimum on there so that none squeezes out and gets into the engine when tightened.....the particular risk is getting it into the oil supply routes to the head and starving the cam area of oil.........you need to be aiming to look like the glue on selotape if that makes sense, and if the sealant (looks like Hylomar) is too sticky you may need a new tube to get a very even spread or buy it in a spray can to get a really thin coat.

Nigel.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:57 AM »
Having looked again at your pics I will add my 2 penorth and say that there is waaaay to much hylomar on there and you shouldn't use that on a head gasket anyway

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »
Ok, Ok,  :) :)
just got a tin of the spray hylomar to use.
i put this on as I have checked through the US and this forum and 80% have done it this way and had no leaks. they all say back in the day the head gaskets had a tiny sticky film on them. :)

now to strip the head off and put back together properly this time lol

Billy
Thanks
Billy

Offline billy192

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Shermonkel
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:56:27 AM »
All done with new dry head gasket.
Thanks