Author Topic: 750 K3 rebuild  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Nerdos

• View Profile
750 K3 rebuild
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
I'll put this here for those that are interested.  I recently bought a K3 off ebay which had been imported from America.  It is largely stock but seriously unloved.  The odometer reads 12,000 miles but the bike seems to have been left outside for years.  The wheels are rusty but only in one section so presumably where the water pooled over all those years.  The clock faces have faded and curled at the edges so that they now look like giant green Pringles.  The previously beautiful 4into4 system has holes in it so big I can get my hand into them.

When I got it the carbs were seized shut and the tank was 1 in ch deep with milky petrol.  The number plate has a sticker on it with the number 94 on it so presumably that was the last time it saw any action.  Following some sterling advice from the US forum I bought a heat gun and used that to soften the inlet rubbers until the carbs came off.  Then, the same heat gun was useful in melting the varnish that had seized the throttle slide in carb 4.

I took the carbs fully apart and gave them an ultrasonic in hot water and fairy liquid.  Then I jury-rigged my own soda blasting kit using a very small compressor and a spotblast gun.  This cleared most of the crud off the carbs.  A bit of carb cleaner squirted through and some new pilot jets and float bowl gaskets and the carbs are back together.  If this seems a bit half-baked then it is.  I just wanted to see if I could get the thing to run so I could hear it.  I wanted to know if it would start at all and whether there was anything awful going on deep in the engine..anything audible at least.

I fitted a spare Newtronic electronic ignition set I had from a scrapped 400/4 (frame was bent and it had CB250N wheels on it so I don't feel bad about breaking it), cleaned out the fuel tap, connected a spare battery from my Defender and whoa! it fired up.  Admittedly it did blow a huge amount of what remained of the silencers onto the deck but it runs.  Problem is that pipe 4 is smoking.  I can't work out if it is running super rich - i.e. there's an airway clogged on no4 carb or maybe the rings have rusted or who knows what.  I can't help noticing that No4 carb was the seized one and now no4 cylinder is suspect.  Also, this is the uppermost pot when it's on its side stand.

I intend restoring this to head-turning but useable standard rather than concours.  The gold CB in the most recent classic bike is my target.  In fact, I'll do it just the same as that.

I've attached most of the pics that I already posted on the US forum. 
I've ordered the rebuild manual - My CB750 Book - which was written by a prominent member of the US forum.  It is very highly regarded and I am keen to get hold of it just as soon as they've printed the thing for me.

Advice is always welcome.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:09:30 AM by Nerdos »

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: 750 K3 rebuild
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:30 PM »
I will escalate the image viewing issue with the hosting company this week...

Mark's book is a good reference - I have one of the first copies.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
Good luck with your project (your photo's have not downloaded)? I have a K4.
Marks book on the CB750 is by far the best reference

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Nerdos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 02:31:08 PM »
I have high hopes for this book.  Having already rebuilt my CB400F I decided to get (what I thought was) the sprocket cover off yesterday so I could inspect the crankcases for chain damage -  I understand this is quite a common thing to get gouged.  Imagine my surprise when oil started tricking out.  I should have paid more attention to the OIL SEAL around the gear change shaft.  What a plonker.  It was at this point I decided to shelve my arrogant assumption that I knew what I was doing and blow £70 on a book; a paperback book at that.  I'm sure it will be worth it.  Shame about the photos here on the forum not uploading.  Imagine a rusty-looking K3 in candy Bacchus Olive and you're pretty much there.  I will repost the pics once the technical problem is resolved.

Offline Nerdos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
Tiny update: I was hoping with a 12,000 mile engine that I would not have to strip it down but simply to clean it up and maybe even repaint it intact as one guy has already done with in his homemade cardboard curing oven.  However, a compression test yesterday showed 100psi on cylinders 1,2 and 3 and 170psi on cylinder 4.  I will retest again this evening with the carbs removed but that level of disparity in readings can't be good can it even if the figures themselves can't be trusted.

Offline Nerdos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
I followed some other advice I saw on the US site about running the compression test with the throttle fully open and got
Pot 1 = 170psi
Pot 2 = 170psi
Pot 3 = 155psi
Pot 4 = 170psi

I'm going to start it up again and try to free the clutch, get the oil circulating and see if the smoke from No4 subsides.  The smoke is the only thing now that worries me.  I think the discrepancy in the compression on No3 may remedy itself and even if it doesn't it's not catastrophically low.  Thing is I can't road test it as I have no front brake, no tax, insurance, MoT or even a registration yet.  It's a bit of a leap of faith.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal