Author Topic: Broken tappet  (Read 11887 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Broken tappet
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
They can be drilled out very easy. Start with a small drill bit, and when i mean small i mean 1mm. Then work up in size with bigger bit's. Make sure you keep it straight , true and slowly. Be very careful of any metal filings from going in to the engine. If not confident, DON'T DO IT. Take it to an engineer.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 10:37:03 AM »
That broken bolt will come out with vise grips. I can't see what you are point at on the cam.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »
Three bolts Les. Two either side of the cam and one on the outside edge.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
I'm afraid Les that is just a dirt in a shape of a bolt...
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Trigger, I'm not going to attempt drilling by hand, i did it in past and it went horribly wrong  :-[
Don't have pillar drill so have to find one, it is on to buy list...

Off to garage wish me luck :)
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 11:24:42 AM »
Block the head off with cloth. Centre punch those bolts and drill with a smaller drill. They will come out they are well oiled.  A bit of heat from the drilling will release them. If you can get a reverse drill bit( is there such a thing?) it would be great.
I've never had a problem removing those and I've had a few broken ones.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
You can buy LH drill bits from a decent engineers supplier, but if that don't work get a 6mm helicoil kit to do a proper repair.

Don't forget if you take the head off you really need to do the base gasket as well as its the same nuts that hold it all down

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
Good news, all nuts off and no more broken bits!
A bit hesitant about taking cylinder off, I suppose I should just to check if all rings are still there.
Bad news, valves looks a bit tired, there i so much crap on them, can I get it off? What shall I use?
Cylinders are loose now as well, so I guess have to replace that gasket too...
Is DS Engine gasket set, "Complete Top and Bottom end" alright?
Pictures to follow.

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
What shall I do any suggestions?

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
That has done a few miles but, you are in now. Check, de-coke, check. See how good the cam chain is why your there. I always use Vesrah gaskets, very good and cheaper than originals.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
Cam chain tensioner slider needs replacing, screw is a bit dodgy, tried to wiggle it around it kind of work but plastic has deep grooves and shows cracks.
Trigger, would you scrape carbon deposit and re set valves? Please explain what do you mean by checking, do you mean piston, bore and rings check? As far as I know you need spacial micro meters which I dont have.
Any advice much appreciated.

That has done a few miles but, you are in now. Check, de-coke, check. See how good the cam chain is why your there. I always use Vesrah gaskets, very good and cheaper than originals.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
Pop the valves out, and make sure you remove the two washers under the springs. And soda blast the head, clean the valves up and check for any pitting on them. Lap them back in with with a bit of grinding paste, new valve stem seal. Sounds easy but, if you don't know what your doing. Then don't do it.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
If you leave the valves in you can clean the chambers with a wire brush on a drill.

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2014, 10:29:06 PM »
Trigger, I wa sloking for the gasket set and I cant find the one you mention, found their website and they don't list cb550 http://catalog.vesrah.co.jp/index_street_f.html

I'm looking for a gasket set and so far wemoto and DS are the only ones I found, any recommendation, or could you let me know where do you get yours?

Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
I have seen a post recently with recommendation for a sealer to use with gaskets, can any one point me in the right direction please.

Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal