Author Topic: help with a squeel on take-off  (Read 2670 times)

merc2dogs

help with a squeel on take-off
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:20:12 PM »
  Hello, new member here, was member before, but something happened since last I logged on a while ago!

Any way I'm having a slight or maybe not so slight problem with my 74 750k, that started last year, when I start off from a dead stop, it squeels, almost a high pitched groan,  sometimes loudly, but normally fairly quiet. when it first started I checked the bike out, and the only thing I could find were worn swing arm bushes, and a chain that should have been changed the year before, put new in and the groan/squeel was gone for a short while, but came back again a short while later. This spring it was pretty quiet the first few times I rode it, but was there (quietly) the last couple times.
 It only happens on take off, normal riding, or coasting it's not there, and it's not there when you goose the throttle at low speeds either, can't seem to find anything wrong with the bike anywhere, it sounds great, other than some clutch rattle, the oil is clean, no sparkles, and everything feels right, no slop in the sprocket shafts that I could detect, so I'm thinking it's not a bearing.
 The MAIN problem I'm having is that I can't realy tell where it's coming from, wheel or bottom rear of engine! so I don't want to just tear in and see.

anyone ever have that, and if so what was it?
Any ideas of what to look at?

ken

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
RE:help with a squeel on take-off
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:47:20 AM »
Hi, I've got a '76 F series, that squealed really bad, turned out to be a poor oil feed to the camshaft.

;) Let's face it the cam arrangement on our steeds is the week point and it is vital that you use the correct oil and change it regularly that goes for the filter too.

If you problem is cam the only solution is to replace it, not a cheap job plus the parts art like the proverbial rocking horse s#*t.

:( If you do a filter change and there is a wisps of what looks like silver paint in the oil the cam is rapidly wearing against its seats.

Have a look in side the left and right tappet covers, you won't see the cam journals but again see flecks of metal.

That all said squealing is a classic symptom of bearing seizure, and there are several more that it could be.

Personally I would strip the engine and check all the bearings.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

merc2dogs

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:54:32 AM »
Thanks, but I'm pretty certain it's not in the head, had two cams sieze up on me, once on us131, just passed a semi at 80+, and it seized the engine hard enough to lock up the rear tire, almost dumped my girlfriend, hairy experience.

This only happens on take-off from a dead stop,  If I'm rolling there's no noise other than normal bike noise, but on take off it's a loud squeel/groan.

Ken.

merc2dogs

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 09:35:19 PM »
 Hah, just in case someone else has the noise, I found out it was a missing spacer in the rear wheel, the spacer uder the sprocket side, the rubber was squeeling, and the alu where it was rubbing caused the groan, turned a temp spacer for it, and no more squeel.

ken.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal