Author Topic: It was worth Joining Facebook David Silver has joined us  (Read 2236 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
It was worth Joining Facebook David Silver has joined us
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
Hi, I thought I would start a new thread on this. My recent post on DSS pattern rims prompted me the contact DSS to ask for his comments and also previously, I had asked him to join us on this site. I was banned from joining Facebook by my offspring but thought if I did join it would be a good way of contacting the man himself, which I did. If you now look in our members list  David has now joined us via my request but unfortunately he is having problems logging in. (SteveD can you help on this please) My post on the rims went off topic slightly so I thought I would start up this new post.

We all have our view and opinions but it's my own personal view that David has done more for restoring classic Hondas than anyone else I can think of wordwide.  Personally, I believe his prices have always been really fair and linked to price hikes by Honda.  Plus he has a business to run and overheads and staff to pay.  I think a true gauge on prices are the prices he charges for some repro items like master cylinders, seat covers etc. . OK some parts may  be not as good as OE but I think he is striving to improve on this and it's not easy to get parts remanufactured to a high standard.  Take for example HM300  exhausts, I contacted 'Eric' in Veitnam regarding his CB750K0  double-cut front mudguards some years ago and managed to get him to send me one polished but unchromed  as I was worried about his chroming quality at the time. At the same time he also said he was making HM300 exhausts. He reckoned he was also  making them for a ' Japanese customer' to a much higher spec. but would not sell me the higher spec ones due to 'customer loyalty' which is fair enough.  But here is an  example of how DSS with their buying power can work with an aftermarket supplier like him or even OEM supplier and provide us with parts, which Honda have discontinued. I notice from the DSS article that they sold a batch of HM300's made by Yamiya. My problem with Yamiya has always been the shipping cost and import duties but by buying these Yamiya parts via DSS we make a big saving on the shipping/import costs. I have also always thought that DSS's shipping cost have been very reasonable and there has never been the slightest quibble on the rare occasion I have had to return something.

Lets welcome him with open arms and hope we can encourage him or his staff to  contribute regularly in heathy discussions.

Cheers  AshD
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:41:04 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: It was worth Joining Facebook David Silver has joined us
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
If you now look in our members list  David has now joined us via my request but unfortunately he is having problems logging in. (SteveD can you help on this please)

Geez Ash, it's Sunday morning. Don't you have a bed to go to?

I did receive an email from David and will sort out his access problems.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:18:59 AM »
Some things are worth getting out of bed for Steve! ;)
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:14 PM »
Completely agree with you here Ash. I've been a DSS customer for 20 years now and they always deliver for me. I also use cmsnl when needed (purely on availability / costs grounds). In terms of pricing - as you say, Honda and the market in general dictate prices but overall I'm comfortable that DSS provide good value for money. When you eventually get logged in David, welcome....

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
Yes i also agree its great to have DS keeping us in spares, us customers have also made him a rich man as well, he must have a great mark up on his stuff, but then he is a bussiness not a charity, i use him mostly for honda stuff but also i use the two big german firms who sell on ebay, they can be  cheaper if the exchange rate is ok, also i use some of American Honda places, they are often half the price of DS but you get stung on the Import duties, and postage, but it can still work out cheaper it just depends on what it is your buying, the best place for the hard to get 750 K0 parts is Yamiya, but again it is that dreaded import tax and postage.
I am glad Ash Has got him involved on the site as he can keep his ear to the ground on what we guys want and think of his outfit, and maybee have some input into the site.
pete

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:27:56 PM »
Hi  David Silver replied below via Facebook:

Cheers.............. AshD

'David Silver Spares Hi Ashley Derrick, It's a pleasure, I am a registered user now, if there are any other issues you would like me to comment on, please forward the link and i will do so. It doesn't need to be about DSS.
Like · January 5 at 6:34pm'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal