Author Topic: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.  (Read 1945 times)

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »

So...it's a SOHC Honda..of sorts, it's a GL1000 and although it's from the land of the free, it seems they're not even free to turn the headlight off.

Starting a bike with the headlamp burning is not great at the best of times, so I would like to fit an ON/OFF switch.  Honda make a neat little switch for the CB750K2 and earlier I think which clamps to the handlebar as a stand alone switch.....ideal.

The problem is, where on earth do I interrupt the circuit to turn off all the lights.....can it be done?  The headlamp, tail lamp etc are independently fused, not sure about the instrument lights......if I were to cut into the power feed it looks as if I would be turning half the bike off.

Has anyone done this on any US import....who could perhaps give me a pointer in the right direction please.

Mick............kettle738

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting an ON/OFF light switch to a US import.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
Another bike Eh Mick  :)
 How about a three pole relay to switch each light and not compromise  fusing. Coil would be switched to enable lights.Or you could do it with 'High Side Driver' MOSFETs. Probably got something I could let you have but how quickly do you want them? The cold resistance of the headlamp bulb would create a high current inrush so solid state would have to be quite beefy. Depends on other devices on the lighting circuit  though, would have to see the circuit. Do have a US circuit diagram?

Cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:16:05 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Mick,

Damned sure I've seen (the Honda) wiring diagrams for various modified models showing a 3 pole starter switch which cuts the power to the lighting circuit when pressed... ie to aid cranking. Would make a lot of sense & perhaps save you a lot of effort / keep your bike original.

Sorry - been looking through my manuals... but (as yet) can't find that start circuit diagram. Brian  OddJob, Ash...am I bloody imagining this?!!

A quick look / or check with a multimeter will confirm the thinking anyways.
Simon

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 05:34:25 AM »
Depends what Mick needs. If he wants to retain lights on but disabled during starter motor cranking then the three pole relay could be used by having  each + ve light feed to respective lamp connected in series with a  N/C contact of the relay and have the relay pull-in when the starter solenoid is energized (i.e have the relay coil connected in parallel with the starter solenoid coil). This could also be done solid state but I would have to work out the circuit. Also making ita neat job without butchering a perfectly good loom also needs care.

I bet the Goldwing guys have already done something but not really familiar with those guys, the Goldwing  or forums. I did meet a guy on their stand at Stafford a few years ago who was the chairman of the UK club, I think  and he was from Cottingham, over the field from me.

Know you Mick, I bet the example you have got will be a nice example! ;D

Cheers! ...... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Just done to a mates 1200 trike.

The fuse box is uder the tray on top of the carbs if its the same and i took an extra wire from the sidelight fuse to a switch and back to power a relay then used the main contacts of the relay to power the headlamp.

PM me and i will do a wiring diagram for you

OR fit the RH switch from a UK model that has the lights on/off bit, if i can find my parts book i will give you the number

Part number 35150-371-601
has been superceded by
Part number 35150-371-P10
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:28:27 AM by Bryanj »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:40:10 AM »
Just done to a mates 1200 trike.

The fuse box is uder the tray on top of the carbs if its the same and i took an extra wire from the sidelight fuse to a switch and back to power a relay then used the main contacts of the relay to power the headlamp.

PM me and i will do a wiring diagram for you

OR fit the RH switch from a UK model that has the lights on/off bit, if i can find my parts book i will give you the number

Part number 35150-371-601
has been superceded by
Part number 35150-371-P10

Thought someone must have done it already.  Any pics to share Mick?

Cheers.... AshD

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
Hi all, many thanks for the suggestions and comments, much appreciated.  As it happens I've been surfing the problem and sort of found this site by accident.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

sadly when it comes to electrics I can understand the basics easily enough but I'm an unimaginative tw4t so I need clear and unambiguous instructions, preferably with pictures.......how dull is that?

The diagram entitled 'START SWITCH SAFEGUARD' here looks perfect for my purposes I'm pretty sure I can fit this nicely hidden and in such a way that nothing is irretrievably altered and can be returned to standard simply by unplugging it.

Hopefully it might help another 'low voltage' dullard. in the same position.

Best..................Mick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal