Author Topic: FRONT BRAKE HOSE  (Read 1938 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
FRONT BRAKE HOSE
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
Not convinced this is correct, went to put the front hoses today, should the top hose to master cylinder be this tight ?

dug out an old pic of when I took bike apart and looks tight there to .... is this correct ?

then

now

do you guys reckon its wrong length hose as non standard master cylinder was fitted

also unclear where master cylinder should bolt to on the bars

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: FRONT BRAKE HOSE
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:02:50 PM »
The first picture is rightish, the you put the clock bracket on and it got messed up. The brake pipe should go between the top yoke and the clock bracket. 

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
ok so just feed up under the clocks ?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
That is the root it originally took, but i am not sure about the length. The master cylinder butts up against the switch gear, maybe when they put the wrong master cylinder on, they used the brake line that came with the cylinder. The brake pipe looks as it should be used on flatter bars.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »
Maybe your bars aren't positioned just in the right spot. Slacken them and the banjo bolt off and see if you can find a better fit.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:29:34 AM »
You will never get a correct line with that master cylinder as its longer than original

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
ok let me recap

first 2 pics are when I was stripping the bike ie with non original master cylinder....frame is black master cylinder now replaced

bottom 2 pics with new master cylinder bought from  from an advertised cb550 k3 .. frame is now silver

Bryan when you say about master cylinder is wrong are you referring to bottom pics ?

here is bike as of today with better pics showing how tight this hose is   

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »
Just make sure it can't rub on anything. 

(also, just as an aside, I prefer the braided goodridge type hoses.  they aren't original looking but they improve the feel of the brakes no end)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
difference in price as well on braided on ebay which ones to go for if i do  decide to go down that route

these ok

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wezmoto-Standard-Braided-Brake-Lines-Honda-CB550-K3-1977-/141064014397?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item20d8120a3d#ht_3133wt_1040

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Don't buy a braided hose Mike. I am 98% sure i have one. I will look over the weekend, and if i find it, yours for free.
I remember taking off a bike because it was too long once we put on a set of drag bars.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal