Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 804 times)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Engine rebuild
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
Have got the bottom end together and big bore barrels bored - just waiting for knock pins and then barrels will be on.
Before I ask my next question, probably best to give background to my rebuild.
Bought a K2 in total bits in mid 2012 - rusty and heavily corroded crankcases (in bits). Was going to replace most chrome/etc so as long as all tin ware and main chassis bits there I wasn't bothered by condition.
Decided that I would buy a complete motor to rebuild and bought one from DK. But on stripping the top end, it was evident that cam carrier oil way brockage had caused cam journal/carrier damage.
So after a bit of mix n matching between the new engine and engine bits I had, rebuilt bottom end of DK sourced engine (mains/big ends/primary chain/etc/etc) and barrels and head from original bike which was in good order except valve spring missing (and fin damage on DK sourced engine).
As valve springs where out of original head and a bit rusty, I wasn't happy to put them in rebuilt motor and as I'm running out of cash(!) thought I'd use valve springs out of DK sourced motor.
I took them out tonight and they have 3 springs per valve! An inner and outer and an additional flat spring that that runs between the inner and outer. The collet holders are also a heavily machined item compared to the thin standard items.
So has anybody got any idea about these springs and holders and more importantly, will they be ok to use with standard cam and standard set up (except big bore on std compression).
Incidently, turned out the DK motor turned out to have had a 836 kit on.
Thanks
Phil
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal