Author Topic: after some help  (Read 2861 times)

MIKE550/4

after some help
« on: January 15, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
I need a tab made for my missing one on the  frame.

I do not have correct tools or skills to make this this.

Plan is to rivet it.... small plate will sit underneath and tab will come up through the holes.

If anyone could do this please get in touch

Pic to show..... I will provide measurements needed

thanks if you can help

« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:59:11 AM by MIKE550/4 »

MIKE550/4

Re: after some help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
Will of course pay for material , postage etc

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »
I now have this made from another forum got a question though if anyone can answer.

Plan was to rivet it in using 2 holes in the frame , but this may cause a fulcrum.

So could I drill 2 holes in the frame and use this, how much pressure will be on this tab ?

ps I know easier to weld but hindsight is a great thing

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »
Is that the tab for locating the tank mounting rubber? If so it's only a locator really. The front of the seat will hold the tank in place.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
if u go back to the first pic you can see a tab missing, hindsight I should of noticed and repaired.... but I missed it .... stuff happens

did not want to weld as it would ruin the powdercoat , had a word with oddjob and we came up with this...... was going to rivet using the 2 holes but not sure if it would hold, this method drilling 2 holes a bit away from the upright looks better

don't think an real weight on these tabs and thought it would be a good permanent fix

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:47:00 AM »
Hi Mike,

Unsure the dimensions of your fixing rubber.... is there any mileage in simplly pop riveting from below (large washer obviously; or don't go all the way with the pressure & cut the shank) it directly to the frame ... you'll be drilling a hole or two anyways?

On the rare occasion you need to remove it... well, you'll have to carefully drill the head off.

Option #2 to insert a blind stud up into the rubber (enough depth?), fix with a quality adhesive & capture from below with a nut?

Sorry... unsure of what you're working with... just throwing in alternative ideas.

Simon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:03:33 AM by Lobo »

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 07:53:48 AM »
hi

rubber that has to go on is no 13, I was unsure if the tank sat on this rubber but ken has now answered saying not much weight on the tab, pretty sure I am on the right track, as mentioned I was going to use the holes in the frame but its to close to the upright part and may eventually collapse, hence I am going to drill further down

pic showing where I was going to drill, but decided to go further away from the upright

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:59 AM »
...one more thought Mike, and then I'll shut up!
Your current bracket will mean drilling holes in that nicely finished frame, and leave the tab raised to a different level as its partner due your bracket sitting atop the frame.
How's about getting a square of (eg) 5mm thick plastic, just slightly larger than the 'square hole' & then cutting shoulders into each of its edges & fit from below ... so its top is flush with the frame. Then a drop of Superglue onto it & your part 13.... no damage to your frame. Granted #13 will be slightly permanent, but not that much of a drama to remove if needed.
And the 'repair' would be otherwise invisible.
I genuinely bow to Oddjob (fantastic chain thread - thank you!), Lester etc... but throw it in the hat again, as an option.
Cheers again,
Simon

... just had another look... your bracket will fit from below I guess! Doh!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:19:58 PM by Lobo »

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:18:23 AM »
Hi

yeas plan was to mount from underneath, i dont really want to drill but may have to , any good bonder metal to powdercoat ?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »
Gotta admit... the repair should look very elegant. My preference of a good bond would be a two part epoxy called 'JB Weld', heat, chemical etc resistant & top quality. Not sure where to find it other than ebay...Halfords?

Cheers,
Simon
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:18:53 PM by Lobo »

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:02 PM »
anybody ever use jb weld..... decided not to drill frame and use tis bond instead

would I have to remove a small bit of powdercoat with a file to get bare metal to bare metal contact?

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »
anybody ever use jb weld..... decided not to drill frame and use tis bond instead

would I have to remove a small bit of powdercoat with a file to get bare metal to bare metal contact?
Ive used it mike,good results.it would be advisable to remove a small bit of powdercoat.
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal