Author Topic: Rear lighting Question ??  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Rear lighting Question ??
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
Alrighty... seems you're sorted.

#3 must be a single cable / plug... and feeds electrical power to the ignition / used for charging.  And as you correctly say, is connected to the same solenoid post as #2.

May be the pic, but the earth cable looks 'a bit light' - it has to carry a lot of current and needs to be as substantial as the battery cable to the solenoid & thence starter motor. But.. you say a Google pic & not yours...?

Hopefully you can get back to that rear light!

Good luck.
Simon
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:32:36 PM by Lobo »

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
Just re-read your last post & 'see' you mention #3 wire is made up of two wires. 'Happy' with that... one will go directly to the main fuse, the second to the rectifier (for battery charging).

Cheers..

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks very much folks,

I'll have a look at my back light when I get home and see what happens, at least i'm getting there now lol

Thanks

Stu
1976 CB750 F1 SS in bits !!! but getting there

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »
Stu... just a thought on the Miller light. IF its a load of LEDs in there perhaps don't connect it up until you positively know how it should be wired... LEDs are polarity conscious. If it is indeed good old light bulbs the worst you'll do is blow a fuse....

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »
Aye its not LED's just one bulb i'll try it with a green wire attached somewhere on the body its on a side mounted number plate bracket on the rear shock mount cheers

I also like the look of the original light I would just need to make a mounting bracket to fit. That would sort out the wiring etc
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:57:10 PM by cb750stu »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
CAREFULL with the solenoid wiring----you need to check what your starter button does before anything else as Honda used two different wirings.

(1) The early bikes had one Yellow/Red wire and grounded to the bars
(2) The later bikes had two wires Black and Yellow/red(I think) and put power to the solenoid

This alters the way the wires need to work at the solenoid

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
Yea, that's a potential 'gotcha' Bryan!

However Stu, if it all worked fine before, and the only thing you did was relocate the solenoid, just reconnect it as it came out. And just to reiterate... nope, it won't matter which was around you connect the small wires.

That Miller... you said "just one bulb"... This might sound dumb, but it is two filaments - ie the unit is not a STOP light only?

If it is one filament I'd guess connect its Black to the Honda Green (Earth) and its Red to the Honda Yellow / Green (brake switch). Otherwise just stick with Plan A....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 10:07:01 PM by Lobo »

Offline cb750stu

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »
Hi,

Tried my back light wiring last night, I added a ground to the light everything worked fine with my 12v test battery I have on my bench but when I hooked it up to the loom the following happened ,

Back light is illuminated when key in park, brake light doesn't work ??
Key in on position no back light but the brake light works ??

I'M thinking maybe the brake light switch is wired back to front its a after market bit from DS.

Also cant get my horn to work I have the ground for the horn going to the same mounting position as the horn bracket itself with the ground on the outside of the bracket I might move the ground behind the bracket so its against bare metal on the mount or just move it to the other hole as there are 2 mounting holes,

At least the starter motor works after accidentally touching both connections on the starter solenoid,

Cheers Stu   

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: light question
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 10:46:27 AM »
Hi Stu,

Getting there...!  Just clarify please, "Key in on position no back light but the brake light works"... Does this mean the brake light works CORRECTLY...OR ....it glows rather than the tail lamp?

You cannot wire the brake switch back to front... it doesn't matter which way around the connectors are.... (think of connecting two bits of wire with a nail... it doesn't matter which way around you put the nail. A simple switch is just a fancy nail...

Some more questions to help troubleshoot / determine whether a simple answer.

(a) key in park, does the headlamp park lamp light?
(b) ignition ON, do the instrument back lights work?
(c) ignition ON, do the indicators work?
(d) ignition ON, does the main beam work? (Dipped & full)
(e) was the horn ALWAYS wired this way, ie one side to earth? (English spec F1 is a YES -CMSL diag)
(f) HAVE YOU CHANGED THE HANDLEBAR SWITCHES, L, R or both since these problems started?
(g)  fuses are defo good?
(h) disconnect the heavy lead Solenoid to Starter motor.... and then... ignition on, does the solenoid audibly 'Click' with the start switch? (you might have to pull the clutch in ?)

Sorry, just need more info. And also awaiting guys smarter than I to come up with the answer!

Answer the top question & then just a load of (a) yay, (b) nay etc

Cheers for now...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:51:54 AM by Lobo »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal