Author Topic: Torque settings for steering head bearings?  (Read 4146 times)

fothers

Torque settings for steering head bearings?
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:10:43 AM »
Hi Comrades,

I am just about ready for Lotherton Hall (seems like a lot of powder coating, plating and polishing since last time!).

I've had the engine out to replace the crankshaft and big end bearings (hence all the earlier posts) and I now need to get the front forks back in but, on checking the Haynes and the original Honda parts book, I find that the diagrams show ball bearings for the head races and not tapered needles as in my 1977 F2. :(

What I would like to know is the torque setting and how far to release the locking ring (if any).

Any help would be appreciated, as ever. Sooner rather than later if possible (MOT in 4 days)!:S

Cheers,
Pete.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
Re:Torque settings for steering head bearings?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »
Hi Pete,

My 'F2 has balls :P  , so your needles are definatley NOT OEM, I would tighten up as normal and make sure it doen't feel over tight.

Not much help I know sorry.

John
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

fothers

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:54 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks anyway. I found a couple of \"how to\" web pages that related to Honda bikes with roller bearnings in the head (ok, less than 30years old but bearing technology hasn't changed... right?) that suggested a preload of around 20psi - that sound about right?

Anyway, I spun the locking ring down yesterday and all seems well but I have yet to road test - let you know.

Cheers,
Pete.

Offline JonnyB

• SOHC Pro
  • Repeat: It's only a Hobby, It's only a Hobby....
    • View Profile
    • BatchScan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »
I only tend to use a Torque Wrench engine stuff, for every thing else I use something my dad told me, \"Tighten down, then 1/8th of a turn on top\" always served me well. I also try to use the same socket drive, 'cos it's length dictates (to a point) how much you can tighten up something.
Regards and Ride Safe!!

Daily Ride - BMW K1200GT
Summer Fun - Naked K100
Current Project - GS500E
Basket Case -  K100/1200 hybrid 
Lawnmower - 1965 Webb Delux 14" Close Cut Battery Electric.

John

https://batchscan.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal