Author Topic: 1976 cb400F generator rotor puller size  (Read 8346 times)

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
1976 cb400F generator rotor puller size
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:26:14 AM »
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the size I need to remove the generator?
Thanks.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: 1976 cb400F generator rotor puller size
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
Hi,
I just went to check as I made one on the lathe for my 350 and 400 and it was M18x1.5mm pitch - that is not the 'standard pitch for 18mm diameter (that's 2.5mm) but is an alternative pitch, so a bolt might be obtainable.
If you have a mate with a metric screwcutting lathe he might be kind enough to make one for you.  I also made a plug to go in the end of the crank, so that the extractor couldn't damage the internal thread.  I have a vague recollection that a 750 or 550 rear wheel spindle was the correct thread and could be used to extract the rotor - someone might confirm this but I don't have one to check.
Ian

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Hi,
With some of the smaller Hondas I found the rear wheel spindle will do it.The 750 does not.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline fisjon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
Yes, my CB650Z rear spindle fitted straight into the rotor and I used an old hub to slide along the shaft to whip it out. I remember this well as when the old hub got to the end of the shaft my finger was still there! F**k!

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies (and ouch!).  I'll try a rear wheel spindle (and mind my finger!).  I was going to get the Laser Flywheel puller if one the fittings was correct (which it sounds like it is if Machine-Mart is correct) - but maybe I don't need to.  Excellent! 
First things first - the bolt in there is on so unbelievably tight I can't shift it.  Any hints and tips for removal?  Is it a normal thread (not reversed  I assume)?  Should it be that tight?  I've tried 'locking' the crank by putting a screw driver into the rotor and bracing against a cover bolt - but I'm worried that I'll damage it if I force it too much.  Any suggestions (as ever) gratefully received.
It occurs to me that as I plan to split the crankcase (as I am perhaps foolishly - going the whole hog on this engine) - do I actually need to remove the rotor to do this? I am suddenly thinking perhaps not - that once the case is open I can lift out the crank with the con rods and rotor still attached - so as a unit - but is that right?
Thanks again for any pointers and suggestions.

ka-ja

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:16 PM »
Hi,
   Rotor tool on ebay under honda 400/4, but I have seen cranks out of cases with rotor still on---ken

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
Yes you can remove the crank with the rotor on, but it needs to come off to fit a new oil seal (don't think it looks okay I'll use the old one, It WILL leak, and that means engine out and strip again :'() If the engine is still in the bike, stick it in gear and get someone to hold the back brake on, that will hold the crank while you undo the bolt, which is normal thread ie anticlockwise to loosen ;D
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:18:41 PM »
OK .. thanks .. hmm ... motor is on a bench (without the top half) - but it sounds like I need to remove the rotor  - but at least I know the correct direction (many thanks) - just need to find a soft way to stop the crank turning ...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »
If you cant undo the bolt holding the rotor, put it in the boot of the car and go to your nearest tyre fitting emporium and ask a numpty nicely to use an air gun with apprpriate socket.

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
Excellent - thanks Oddjob - but wouldnt the extension bar damage the conrod eye - or am I needlessly worrying (I guess I must be if you've used this technique)?

Offline steven400/4

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:28:27 PM »
bit of heat few small taps and off it comes
cb400f2 x7
honda ss 50
gsx 1400

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
Yeah - I'll try the heat too - right now it's on solid - so if the heat doesnt help then it'll need quite a bit of leaning on (or thumping) which is always a tad worrying of course ...

Offline DayvW

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
Thanks oddjob, I'll try that .. Plus use a bit of heat and see how that goes.  If that fails I have just bought a compressor, I figured it was going to be pretty useful in general if only for blowing away stuff initially, but an air gun feels a good investment! I saw that David silvers tool and found a laser one on machine mart that looks pretty much the same, it includes an m181.5r puller. Can't comment on quality, but is less than half the price.  Mind you, rear axle bolt is even cheaper if that works .. Though as over time I want to tackle many bikes I think a puller is a useful addition to toolbox.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
Hi,
I can certainly recommend Laser stuff - I bought an ABS rotor nut tool of theirs for my Jag XJ8, it was £24 plus post as opposed to the Jag one at £155!!  It looks and performs exactly as the Jag one  - good materials and workmanship. 
I checked my rear wheel spindle on the 400 and it's smaller than the alternator rotor thread - so perhaps the bigger bikes spindle might fit, but that thread size is available if you can source a bolt.
Ian

Offline fisjon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:23 PM »
When your done it should look like this :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal