Author Topic: Top end refreshment  (Read 8830 times)

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
Re: Top end refreshment
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 01:56:07 PM »
When I got my 550 I'd only ever owned 2 strokes.
The first thing I did was fix the cam chain tensioner and regrind the valves. It's all simple enough with a Haynes manual.
Engine out/in is easy too. Lay the bike on it's side and lift the frame off it, reverse for installation.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 05:16:42 PM »
I also recall the haynes manual said you are unlikely to ever have to replace the hy vo chain - to be fair I've a few used ones about and someplace I had a new one and I couldn't tell the difference in wear between the new and a few of the used - there were one or 2 more worn examples in my collection.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
Don't believe everything you read in a Haynes manual, I have come accross some real bad howlers!!! as to the Hy-Vo primary chain on the 400 its not too bad , on the 500 it wears badly and damages the main oil galleries and on the 550 the crankcases were different so the wear is not quite as bad so still there.

Same part for all 3 by the way (and a Kawasaki model I can't remember!!)

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »
Thank you for encouragement.
I got my gasket set and ready now to tackle it.

Monday is the day (weather permitting), will drain oil and remove engine as suggested by Lester.
Will see what other surprises are there for me.

I just remembered that first gear occasionally was popping out to neutral...

Many thanks!
One step forward, two steps backward...
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
I had a few engines where it poped out of 1st under load , both 500's - I'd sort it whilst you are in there f possible - on mine it took a year of commuting to get to the point where it was a royal pain, then it started doing it in 2nd too and I pulled the engine as I'm on a bit of a steep hill and it was getting 'not funny' going up the hill slipping the clutch in 3rd or poping out of gear and reving it's nutts off in 2nd every day.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
I had a few engines where it poped out of 1st under load , both 500's - I'd sort it whilst you are in there f possible - on mine it took a year of commuting to get to the point where it was a royal pain, then it started doing it in 2nd too and I pulled the engine as I'm on a bit of a steep hill and it was getting 'not funny' going up the hill slipping the clutch in 3rd or poping out of gear and reving it's nutts off in 2nd every day.

Any suggestions what to look out for?
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »
I've not got around to look at mine yet, but selector fork wear or dogs and the selector drum are all suspect - think the drum is reputed to wear on the 500 but think that was revised on the 550.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »
I can second everything that Oddjob said and i worked on them for a living in the 70's

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
So, after few months I finally had a bit of time to get back to my bike.
I finally split the engine and i'm trying to assess what needs to be done, a part of washing sand away.

For the start it looks like there is no seal in between crankcases, should there be one??
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline tom400f

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Jointing compound... no gasket if that's what you meant.
1978 CB400F2 Yellow
1995 VFR750FS Red
1997 VFR750FV Lapis Blue
2013 Yamaha FZ8 Grey

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »
Tom there is nothing, I didn't expected gasket but there is no sign of a jointing compound, just a trace of light brown in one or two holes.
Oddjob, I haven't split gears yet but it all looks rather clean and there is no damage or wear a part of where bearing seat on case, I will try to post few more pictures tomorrow.

There seems to be a lot of play in primary chain, and with clocks reading 30k i'm going to replace it, but first have to free it, read somewhere about screwing one of the large engine mount bolts and slamming socket to pull it out, will try it tommorow.

I'm struggling to upload pictures, it seems that they are to big here is a link to them, i have to find a quick way to re sizing my snaps.
https://plus.google.com/photos/100803604774033940642/albums/6028232728034539713
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »
Bomber I have managed to source some new gear selectors for the 500K, the middle one is very difficult to source these days and I've managed to find a few, I also have a new left hand fork along with some really good second hand ones which TBH look as good as the new one.
I have most of the gears NOS as well if it turns out you need to replace 1 or 2. Hope it's not one of the ones I'm missing as I spotted one on german E-Bay the other day and it was around £125 for just one gear.

When you split it and can check if there's any damage and if any of those parts are useful left me know as I don't expect the middle selector fork to not sell for long.

I had another closer look and i can't see any wear or damage a part of forks, but that is no way near as bad as I seen on forum.
I noticed that the fork wear is not even, and I wonder if I should be measuring the thinnest part of it rather than thicker.
I think that I'm either very lucky or blind...

Thanks a lot for the info, I couldn't get this far without this forum.
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 12:44:32 AM »
Looking for a hondabond ht, it seems I can only get it of ebay in USA
Anyone knows where to get it in UK?
Thanks
Honda CB550F 1976

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 06:43:17 AM »

Offline bomber

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:55 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370990844719

Thanks!
this is the last bit of a puzzle! Almost ready to assembly the engine.
Honda CB550F 1976

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal