Author Topic: CB550f speedo face wanted  (Read 7212 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CB550f speedo face wanted
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
Hi,
If the Nippon Seiki one I found for the  750C custom  is any use, I will break it up and let you have the face for 'nowt' as we say in Yorkshire. You could maybe do one of your overlays for it. If you want dims/ just shout.
You are correct as I have an ND one too for the same bike and the holes are further apart on the NS one and the apertures look different C/W ND one.

Cheers ....  AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
I did find a small face taco off a 500 (I think)  and matching speedo (busted I think) but as far as I can recall the 550 had bigger clocks. Searching the loft is getting inpossible with the sheer ammount of bits in there, plus the state of the place, - the last straw being the lights have now fused so bear with me. If I'm taking an age, remind me via Pm's - the shed has a habbit of making me get distractedas it is so full of half finished projects.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
I did find a small face taco off a 500 (I think)  and matching speedo (busted I think) but as far as I can recall the 550 had bigger clocks. Searching the loft is getting inpossible with the sheer ammount of bits in there, plus the state of the place, - the last straw being the lights have now fused so bear with me. If I'm taking an age, remind me via Pm's - the shed has a habbit of making me get distractedas it is so full of half finished projects.

Sounds like my loft.... Went up there last week, there's a battered 400/4 tank up there, I can see it but I can't physically get to it!! ;D

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:02 AM »
I think a diesel road roller engine, landrover gearbox x2 in bits and honda rebel 125 in bits was kind of too much, organisation became chaos, then Ihad to find bits for a bmwr90/6 that I'd agreed to sell as a runner (carbs and coils needed then) - now it looks like a bomb hit it.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
I have two seiki guages. One blue, one green. Ill try and get pictures up but my internet is restricted until tomorrow. :-[
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. The diameter of the face is 90mm (same as the ND type) The mileage counter aperture is 27mm from the top and the trip aperture 26mm from the bottom. Both those measurements ignore the tab on the top and bottom of the face.  The holes that secure the face to the mechanism are 26mm apart (ND ones are 21mm apart)

I'm working on plan 'B' and that's using a dial face from a Silver's replica. The holes that secure it to the mechanism didn't line up so I filled them with epoxy and drilled holes in the face to suit.  Seems to have worked OK but the replica face is thinner than the original. Seems a bit too flexable to me and the apertures don't quite line up. Working also on the the overlay in photoshop.

The correct face regardless of what's printed on it will be a better option of course.

Take care in those lofts, my kids nicked the ladder once when I was up there for a laugh. Found some rope up there and made my exit using that. Then used the rope to hang the kids, well not quite but didn't think it could be an option!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »
It's not a problem stripping the gauge I have down, I will never use it anyway and you have helped me with advice in the past.
Cheers... AshD

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Thanks Ash, I would think all Seiki gauges of the same size and with the trip reset on the side would use the same dial face. Only what's printed on it being differant. At the very least I'll owe your the postage cost. No great rush, pm when
convenient.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
Don't worry about post costs, it's OK. Just PM me your address.
BTW, I am looking at a capacitance discharge micro spot welder for interconnection of NiCad batteries (if you solder them it reduces their life). Do you think if a gauge clamp ring was cut with a Dremel, it could be removed and replaced again and micro-spot welded or is the answer the Jubilee clamp around it and then de-crimping and then re-crimping. Trouble is I  have not tried the re-crimp yet.
Cheers.... AshD

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 10:59:06 PM »
Thanks Ash, pm sent

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »
Cheers for the PM Peter,
In a meeting at my new job most of the day (boring zzzzzzzz) so no chance to strip gauge but just stripped it down tonight but forgot to bring home my digital caliper.
However, measuring with steel rule, dimensions look pretty close to what you need and face has no cracks etc. Dunno how you are supposed to safely remove the plastic needle though, looks to be  glued on to me! And trip knob has be left attached to shaft and threaded thro' grommet hole after removing mechanism to back-plate retaining screws.
Will get the missus to post for you tomorrow.

Cheers ..... AshD
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:55:34 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »
Thanks Ash that's great, two tea spoons under the needle boss and resting on the dial face screws. Equal pressure on both spoons and the needle should just pop off.

Your discription of the trip reset mechanism leads me to be preatty sure it's exacly the required dial face. Oh there's no great rush. Thanks again.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
Hey -- that's exactly what I used -  two spoons-didn't mention it as thought you would consider me  a bodger!!

Thanks Ash that's great, two tea spoons under the needle boss and resting on the dial face screws. Equal pressure on both spoons and the needle should just pop off.

Your discription of the trip reset mechanism leads me to be preatty sure it's exacly the required dial face. Oh there's no great rush. Thanks again.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:08 PM »
Posted today pls let me know when you receive OK Peter.
The plot thickens though, venturing in my garage tonight, cursing the MG Midget that languishes unloved for 20 years and preventing me from my bike restos. I found all of my 250/350K /450K gauges (was a serial collector at one time, don't ask!)and there was a large one stripped down in a Jiffy bag labelled CB500/550? and its a Nippon Seiki one with a very crazed (hot climate) green face up to 120MPH but the wierd thing is that the trip reset comes out the back of the gauge not the side. So what's this really from, it's supposed to be a Honda one? 500T?
Cheers..... AshD
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:30:33 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
Ha, I'm looking at one right now. Is the trip on top and mileage below?
Oh this is perfect green face.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal