Author Topic: Getting closer  (Read 1549 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Getting closer
« on: May 10, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
Eric asked for a few photo's, I made the fairing brackets today so its not taped on anymore!, going with 4 into 1 at present but will change to 4 into 4 when funds allow, staying with a brake rod on the rear as well, I have the cable to do the conversion but have been told that the cable doesn't work too well, I'll change the rod to black though as it stands out too much in chrome/silver,  lots still to do, bodywork goes to paint next weekend then I have to concentrate on sorting the electrics, I was taking it to the TT but in the great tradition of British projects I'm running late, that said I hope to be completed by the end of June (although wifey has started to mention holidays :(),
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:26:17 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Getting closer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »
Nice work Mark, will it be a rider or show bike?
pete

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
Definitely a rider Pete, I'm building it for the road, it will be a shame to have a number plate stuck on the back but I'm making it quickly detachable as a unit with the rear lights and indicators, the front indicators will be very small and mounted inside the Perspex screen with a small projector headlight so that I have a white light at the front, once again they will be quickly detachable, at least I wont have to fit a tax disc holder after October  :)
Note the oil tank, it's the original tank lightly modified and rotated through 90 degrees, looks a bit odd in the photo but very "period* when seen in the flesh, I was going to make an ally tank (or buy one £500) but I like it the way it is so it's staying.
The engine is not modified other than it will have bell mouths on the carbs so will be re-jetted, I have another engine that I will be converting to 836cc once again when funds/time allows.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:33:49 AM by MarkCR750 »
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline neat street

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
Hi Mark
Looks great!! well done. I like the tank, looks cool
CB500 1973
CB750F 1976
KLX250 1983
Lambretta SX200
Mini Mayfair 1984

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:32:53 PM »
Thanks neat street, all encouragement gratefully received  :)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 09:52:09 PM »
The bike looks really good Mark, quite envious of it as I do think it's one of the nicest modifications to do to this type of bike if not left standard.

The standard rear brake with rod operation is quite powerful on these and will easily have the back hopping without much effort. The 70's bikes I've ridden with cable rear drums have usually had a softer action which I've always found more controllable just when you don't want to try and concentrate on being careful with it, so I feel they are easier to use so may be worth a go to see what you feel about them. That double setup at the front will also get the bake very light if you have the right master cylinder ratio as well, so you probably won't need that much back brake ayway. just comes down to prference I guess.

Anyway, you've got something really good coming out of your hard work, thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline MarkCR750

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
Cheers K2, to be honest I had a few pangs of guilt re destroying the K7 donor, it was in a very poor state though, I bought a GT750 rear brake cable to start the conversion but got tempted by the time saving of just flipping the rear brake arm and connecting the rod to the rear set lever with zero modification!, I was talking to Dave Perry at Classic Racing Hondas and he said that he thought the rear brake felt underpowered after converting to cable, although I take your point entirely that it could be too sharp with the rod, especially with the bike being so much lighter than standard, I'll see how it feels when completed and its only a few hours work to convert if needed.
I'm reasonably sure I have the front brake piston ratio dead wrong at the moment!, I have used a Fireblade master cylinder but have a bit too much lever travel, David Silver sells pattern Goldwing master cylinders for about £40 though so I'll swap to one of those soon, Dave Perry uses them on his replicas and the lever travel is much less than on mine.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:28:28 PM by MarkCR750 »
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal