Author Topic: Anyone got a CB500T? need help identifying a loom  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Anyone got a CB500T? need help identifying a loom
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:09:12 PM »
I broke one CB500T many, many moons ago. Guy brought it in for MOT and it failed big time, he was so disgusted with the bike he offered it to me for a pittance rather than ride it away again. As the bike shared quite a few parts from the CB500K I thought why not and promptly rode it home and scrapped it.
No idea what I did with most of the parts to be honest, but haven't got anything left so maybe I took what I wanted and sold the rest as a job lot.
Today whilst trawling through the shed where parts have been sitting for around 35 years now I spotted a wiring loom. Thinking it must be from a 500 or 550 of which I broke more than a few I pulled it out of the mess of stuff it's been sat in and inspected it.

I looks a little like a 550 harness except it's clearly not. As the only thing I can think of that it may be is the 500T I thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone can identify it, I'll post some pics of it later but not much point if no one is very familiar with the 500T electrics. Harness is uncut, still supple including the harness shroud/tubing, not much corrosion considering where it's been sat for 30 odd years and looks to be very useable. There are little pointers leading me to think it's a 500T, the loom appears to connect the handlebar switches under the tank rather than the headlight like the 550F, but the connectors around the sub harness aren't the same as the 550F, to me it looks like the sub harness lived on the right rather than the left like the 550F.

Anyone help?
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got a CB500T? need help identifying a loom
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
Does it have yellow,green,black wire in loom for single phase 'pointless' regulator

member on here may buy off you for his CB450K

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/54-manuals-technical-documents/12412-have-high-quality-cb500t-wiring-diagram.html

Cheers .. AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:01:02 PM »
I believe it does Ash, there is a long set of wires coming off the loom, on the end of that are 3 female spade connectors, I thought it was for a flasher relay like the 500/550 but the wires are quite long and unless the relay was somewhere not near the sub harness I couldn't figure out why they needed to be so long. The diagram looks like the loom, I'll need to compare it though slowly, piece by piece.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
500T single phase so it  will not have 3- yellow wires for alternator like 500/550/4, another clue!!

Cheers ... AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
Ahh that would explain why I couldn't find the 3 yellows, it was those missing which gave me my first clue it wasn't a 550. Once a loom is off the bike they do tend to look all the same somewhat.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »
Not brilliant image but may be some help

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
At first I thought Ash that mine couldn't be a 500T as according to the really big diagram on your link the pointless regulator used bullet connectors and not spade connectors plus it has a double black female which mine doesn't. However after looking closely it's clear that the wiring diagram is off a US model as it's wired for running lights on the indicators and the UK version hever had that.
I have a 5 fuse fuse box lying around and that fits on to the loom, all the colours match up. There is clearly a provision for a clutch diode, clearly the handlebar switches wire up near the coils, the headlight area looks ok for the usual stuff, indicators, idiot panel, clocks etc. Also the front brake light switch must be very close to the headlight as the female bullet connectors for that are in with all the headlight stuff, it has the large block connector for the ignition switch as well.

Don't want to just throw this away if it's of any use to someone on here so need to work out exactly what model it's off. I'm 99% sure it's a UK model CB500T as that's the only other bike except the 500/550 and 400/4 I broke in my youth.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:48:16 PM »
Woodside? is this ideal for you?

See    http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=6205.15

Cheers .... AshD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal