Author Topic: fork drain screw bolt sheared  (Read 12199 times)

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: fork drain screw bolt sheared
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »
well another problem, after new copper washer and bolt it leaks,

now I did go a tiny bit off centre and drill the aluminium, it now has a new helicoil and bolt and copper washer

the leak is very tiny, all I had to seal was jb weld, I know not ideal but its what I had

what could i use to seal around this bolt, lost about a table spoon in 3 weeks

Offline ShaunJ

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
How about plumbers PTFE tape?
Present CB750 K7

Offline MikeM

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
not sure if its coming out from the section I drilled by accident, could nip the bolt out and try that idea with plumbers tape though nice one

if any other suggestions let me know , at moment jb weld and its setting and holding until I put pressure on forks

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:42 PM »
Ptfe tape may do it, sort of worked with my 250 where I did the same thing with the exhaust studs, sadly the leak seems to be back after the bike was dropped on ice but as it aint bad I've not re done. if that fails maybe a bit of heamatite around the undserside of the bolt head and the first few threads, allowed to part set and tighten as normal. It might work.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
If all else fails a jab with an aluminium welder woudn't cost the earth.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

ka-ja

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:32 AM »
Hi,
     The seal occurs between the bolt head/copper washer/outer flat surface, I would clean and dry the thread and bolt, and coat an aluminium washer with good old Hylomar blue and give that a go, but make sure the outer flat surface sealing area is flat and square to the tapped hole.----Ken

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal