Author Topic: CB550 F2 Misbehaving...  (Read 3690 times)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550 F2 Misbehaving...
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
Take a spare plug out with you and when it stops try testing for a spark to see if the ignition is dead.

When it's running try moving the steering from lock to lock like you do when get the bike out of a parking space to see if flexing the loom around the headstock has any breaks in it.

How does it restart after these stop/fault times? do you have to do anything or does it just go again.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »
Steph... A safety thought if you go the route of 'hot wiring' the coils...

Do not set off until you are comfortable with just how you're going to stop the engine if needed! My #1 suggestion would be to simply apply full choke; and #2 would be to just drop the clutch with the brakes on. But again, please do consider this / check < you go riding...

Another trouble shooting option might be to get a small 12v (low wattage) bulb & mount it near the warning panel. Earth one side, and take the other side down to the coils black / white feed. Basically, anytime this bulb is lit means the coils are being supplied, if the light goes out as the bike dies... well it confirms a problem in the +ve supply to the coils. If you don't have a bulb handy just 'borrow' a neutral or hi beam or inst illumination lamp.

A little way off the NF, & in Oakley / Basingstoke. But worsened in that I work abroad so just not out on them roads anything like what I want.  Was down in Lymmington for a couple of nights recently.. it certainly is a nice part of the country for biking.

Take care, it's not a nice fault this one...
Simon
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:09:03 AM by Lobo »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 08:22:09 AM »
With my 550k3 it was the wind catching the leather keyfob plus condition of the ignition switch when I had this problem, turning the ignition on and off sorted it when riding first time being at 70mph on a motorway on the way to a tour of Scotland, had to do it a few times that week - (noticeably less often after removing the little leather key fob it had), got home and squirted half a can of wd40 into the offending switch whilst switching it on and off repeatedly. That sorted the bike for the next 2 years before I broke it for parts.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Steph550

• SOHC Associate
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
Well, just been out for a ride, stopped for a cup of tea and rode home, all without breaking down.... Maybe my fiddling around with the wires did some good??

We'll see if she keeps behaving herself now! I'm not yet convinced!

Cheers for all the help  :)

Steph.
1977 Honda CB550F2
1966 Honda CB77
1968 Triumph Tiger 90
1999 Honda VFR800Fi

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
hmm, just had an issue with my 500, would not start, all electrics working, then moved the kill switch a fraction and it burst into life! worth checking on yours Steph.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal