Author Topic: newby  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: newby
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
Welcome to the mad,mad world of the SOHC. Enjoy, there is a ton of info to be had.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 10:24:49 PM »
 ;D
Ive started to tinker with the bike today. used my t100 bonny battery to try and start it but the fuels no good in the tank. I cleaned the filter below the tank as it was full of rubbish. I suppose the carbs will be too so im going to take them off tomorrow and dump them in engine cleaner in my ultrasonic machine i use to restore clock movements. Then im going to attempt a start again with fresh fuel. i realised that the previous owner has ground off the lugs that the seat hinges attaches to for some reason. today i also said sod it and ordered a seat from david silver spares. I know its a bit premature but it was the last in stock and I dont think I could use the base of the one on it. i ordered the seat (original) and the bars to go through each hinge. Im in need of the lugs which are part of the frame. my brother is a welder so he can do the welding but what do i do about the lugs - see pic . i see the lock is available but not the plate seat lock set part no 50223-341-000. any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks for the information regarding the rear wheel. its not expensive to get the rear wheel and spokes etc which is a suprise. having said that the originals are £100 but aftermarket only £36. Is it worth the extra money? Also theres two sizes and which would mine have been since its not here to look at . 1.85x19 40 hole or 2.15x18 40 hole?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:26:47 PM by antonypo »
Antony

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »
If you looking to keep the bike i would go for a DID rim, with stainless steel spokes. The £36 ones are 36 for a reason, they do not last very long. The lugs will have to be made unless you can find a member who is doing a cafe racer. He/she will be cutting them off.

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »
Front wheel is 19", rear is 18".
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Les Ross. Certified by a Professional

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
You might get some lugs from the Bike Butcher Norniron. He is always cut something of his bikes.

Offline Norniron

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 11:36:01 PM »
Cut all the shit off her,makes her nice and light.easier to wheelie then.thats if the clutch holds out
1977 400 cafe
1972 500/4
2013 triumph STR675

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
I can get a DID kit but it says the spokes in the kit are mild steel. Aren't  they supposed to be chrome?
Antony

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 12:25:48 AM »
Chrome is only a plating over mild steel. Have you got a link? I'd be surprised if they are just bare steel.
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Set/sit. Bought/brought FFS. Bloody Americans.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 12:46:36 AM »
Antony

Offline LesterPiglet

• SOHC Pro
  • 1977 CB550F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
Probably nickel plated. I got myself a front rim and spokes from David Silver years ago, I can't complain at the price.

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K4-FOUR-1974-USA/

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
Antony, try Central Wheel Components for rim and spokes. They will even built the wheel for you. CMS would be expensive, by the time you add on VAT and postage. A wheel builder is no cheap these days.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
as usual great advise - thanks. next one !
I'm going to take off the carbs and ultrasonically clean them with proper apl engine cleaner. What will not be able to go in the machine, rubber, floats ?
Antony

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
well the carbs are off but not had any advice yet about what NOT to put in the ultrasonic cleaner. i decided to try and take off the crap exhaust but low and behold one of the inner bolts (12mm) which hold the exhaust to cylinder head clamp is rounded off. How the hell am i going to get this off !
Antony

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 02:37:46 PM »
Antony is the ultrasonic tank heated? It's really best to try and strip the individual carbs but you could clean the assy 'complete'. Obviously pull off the float bowls and unscrew the pilot / main jets. I'd also take out the floats and needle valve / seat - this is where the main supply of fuel enters the carbs and is a bottleneck. You'll need an airline to properly blow through all orifices after cleaning. It's time consuming and you need to be methodical but it's a rewarding job.

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »
yes its a heated cleaner and its recommended for the liquid im using. I want to know what i can clean in it as im no mechanic and dont really want to pull carbs apart if i dont need to. i know they will need setting up and balancing in the future so will pay someone but dont want to give it to someone in bits !
Antony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal