Author Topic: newby  (Read 5929 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: newby
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
Looking at what you've taken off, still the whole rack in at 50 deg with the bowls off. Can you post some photos of the carbs with the bowls removed..?

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
  • wheres the breaks on these cb 750's !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 05:51:45 PM »
will do tomorrow. ive also sent an email to the seller of the cleaning fluid. reading the instructions for removal it suggests NOT taking off the bowl rubber gaskets unless they're damaged. i assume that's because they may leak once disturbed?
Antony

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 10:23:02 AM »
Well as you can see I've taken the picture of the carb' with the bowls off. Already in trouble !
One of the rubber gaskets was broken in situe. Don't know if it was sucking air. I couldn't get one of the pins out of the float bowls so decided to leave it in after a bit of a go. I don't want to damage it any more than i have trying to get it out. It could easily make the float bowl stick.
All in all I have I decided to leave the rest in tact and have now put it in the cleaner.
Will take a picture when its done.
Antony

Offline Paull

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
Hi antonypo,

There gubby but anything can be clean.

Is that rust there to, if so tank might need lining.

Paul
S**t Happens

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »
No it was "jellified" petrol. Well thats my word for it. I've taken it out of the cleaner but no photo yet. They are cleaner but i think i should have gone a bit less diluted. 10/1 as recommended has cleaned it but some grime is loose but not come away from the outside. This leads me to think that inside the jets may still not be clean. My next step is to take one off at a time and strip it out and clean the jets as someone previously said with air. i have a canister for blowing out grime from the laptop - that should do until tomorrow.
About the tank lining paul. As far as I can tell it looks clean inside and no rust underneath. When I send it to paint would they do it or is it something I can do? What is the process and is it prudent to do it?
Antony

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »
Anthony, if you don't have access to a proper air line I'f suggest getting yourself a can of Wynne's carb cleaner. Use the 'straw' attachment to blow through all orifices after you've removed from the us tank. Also, remove all of the jets before cleaning again (small flat head for pilot, 8mm for main jet holder/emulsion tube and unscrew the main jet from this as well, 10mm for float valve seat).

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »
good idea. I will do that. i assume I don't really need to rebuild these carbs unless there's a problem? been reading it's advisable if their out but a complete kit is about £25. Times that by each carb and it's yet another money pit area which may not be necessary. It's done 40,000 mls btw.
While we're on the miles subject, I see that you can refurb your original speedo and tacho but the costs are more than replacement ones - about £60 each. I would do it myself cheaper but I read that there are other things internally that need checking.
So is it worth keeping the originals when mine is imported with no paperwork . I have proof of purchase and import duty paid btw.
Antony

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 06:04:59 PM »
I'd focus on the basics of getting it running first. Unfortunately you cant afford to cut corners on the carbs, if you do you'll regret it (trust me its the voice of experience :-).

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 06:19:41 PM »
All im saying is how do i know if its necessary to refurb the carbs? I've cleaned them - or will be finished tomorrow. is there something I can do to know? any obvious ware I can look for. I really need to carry on dismantling really. Its a total strip down of the frame to powder coat and then start rewiring,refurb brakes, get a proper size back wheel sorted etc. try to source a good spray company

i think I should come back to the carbs when the time is right. I was contemplating getting the engine cleaned professionally outside because i know it turns over, I was hoping nothing major is wrong inside other than a service and check timing etc
Maybe change the camchain but I dont know if that's necessary. It was running of sorts in the u.s. apparently.
Antony

Offline Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP)

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
Anton
How many times have I heard supposedly,apperently.Do NOT asume you know what that means.Check all and you will have peach of mind.Plus 1 with James.
Cheers
Bitsa
Long Live Best Bitter.Status Quo and Sohc Bikes and common sense which you can not teach

Offline antonypo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
 ;)

ok thanks Bitsa. For a start i'm ordering the x4 carb kits off ebay. The sizes stated don't match the manual, but they state for my year. Main jet 110 slow jet 40. Manual says 120 ?? I could check mine but they could have been changed i suppose as it's got a 4 into 1 fog horn on it. I'm going for the 4 into 4 original eventually.
Antony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal