Author Topic: R&S Electroplating Limited  (Read 15319 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: R&S Electroplating Limited
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
A quick update on this. I have bought a replacement rear brake arm for £20. He's going to do that obviously, but also my centre stand grab handle and handlebars. There not that bad but as it's free, I might as well As long as he doesn't loose them  :-\).

So what was the outcome , did they come good in the end !!

Cheers  ...  AshD
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
Hi Ash. They still have my spare brake arm, frame handle and handle bar. Been about 3 weeks now.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »
I'm been asked to make a comment by Steve concerning a recent job by Mark @ R&S Electroplating, I decided to give him a go because he is based in Manchester, so no postage/returns where involved.
The 1st batch took 3 weeks, July 2014 (£200) which I was happy with
The 2nd batch took 4 weeks, August 2014 (£300) which included the 16 inch very blistered wheels. Very very impressed with the wheels.
I did mention to Mark that its a winter project, and I was in no rush.
I will be using rschrome.co.uk again

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

bike-pusher

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »
I've got Collins Chemical Blacking a mere mile from where I live.  Nice guys, very good, do stoving, powder coating, and plating with just about anything.  I wait until I've saved up a box of stuff for chroming and then tote it down.  They always do a good job, although their idea of time would baffle Doctor Who sometimes, but then they're hardly alone in that.  They do a lovely job on the refurbed 400F gear linkage assemblies I sell.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 07:30:33 PM »
Hi .. Did he give you a price breakdown? Particularly on rims.

These were the prices a fellow 250K0 restorer  paid (I also think Quality Chrome near me quoted 100/rim)

Quote from: AshimotoK0 on July 15, 2014, 12:13:04 am
Hi,

Anyone used these people for chroming.

http://www.classicsandchrome.co.uk/1.html

A fellow CB250K0 restorer has used them and gave a good report.

Cheers ... AshD

Regarding  This post. I asked the guy to confirm the prices he paid for rims, as I thought his prices were too good to be true, and he sent me his invoice which was 100 quid each not 50 he told me initially. They were really ropey to start with though and I mean ropey!!!  He also paid the following: kickstart 20, downpipe 35,handlebars 30, 2 mudguards 165 the pair, chainguard 55. This is for a '68 CB250K0

Think I may give Quality Chrome a bash again to save paying any delivery /loss in transit. they are about 7 miles from me.

cheers ... AshD
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:35:56 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Ewan 500 K1

• SOHC Pro
  • jings crivens help ma boab
    • View Profile
    • Adams Bros Probe 2001
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 07:44:40 PM »
looks like we're developing a rule of thumb here ... shop local  ;)
jings crivens help ma boab

500K1/550K3 mongrel cafe racer project for now at http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,4120.0.html

500K1 basket case for later

bike-pusher

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »
That mudguards quote sounds cheap.  The chainguard is more or less what Collins charges.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »
Great that the RS stuff turned out OK. He came on here upset about comments  someone made, a few months ago,a bit like Neil did this week. Shame he has not come back and joined us as a contributing member (as Neil has), as it would be nice to have a plater company come on here, enjoy our business and form a good  relationship at the same time plus a bit of the old Bitsa/Trig banter  :D. The guy who did my 750K0 painting a few years back,  Andrew Parnaby,  has it about right, he's passionate about what he does, an avid biker and on the occasion I have been to see him, he always has a gaggle of bikers round there chatting and having a cuppa with him.. surprised he ever has time to get on with the job. He's such a nice guy that I can't imagine anyone falling out with him or not resolving any problems amicably.  As I have said before though, there is  difference between a hobbyist and someone doing it to earn a crust. Many of the 'trades' are so steeped in EU legislation (plating/refinishing) that is must be such an (expensive) nightmare running that sort of business,  You are bound to get the occasional genuine ar**hole for whom nothing is good enough and gets you down. Plus, in my book everyone is human and can make a mistake. It's how he corrects it and deals with people that makes the difference. Hope the RS guy sees this to assure him we are set of the 'good' guys on this forum  really!

Cheers  ...Ash
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:37:51 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 11:43:40 AM »
I got my bits back from R&S yesterday. These are the replacement rear brake arm that went missing the first time round and the handlebar and main stand lift handle he was doing free. They had them over a couple of months but have done an excellent job. They are perfect and I am very happy :). I would definitely use them again but probably best to agree a time scale as the do seem to have a lot of work on.
Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline rschrome

• View Profile
    • R&S Electroplating Limited
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 12:16:50 PM »
I wasn't going to join this forum but SteveD CB500F convinced me top give it a go so here I am.
As some of you are aware there have been various discussions some good and some not so good and with some help and diplomacy all issues have now been resolved. I can see that the forum is a good place for help and advice and would welcome any questions or even better the chance to quote for any chroming that you require ( I will donate as I'm promoting my business ). The one issue of a missing part was in all fairness the fault of the Royal Mail and we have since revamped our booking in system and policies for the insurance of goods whilst in transit and been made clearer and easier.We handle over 15 parcels a day involving various carriers and touch wood no problems have occurred also some clients arrange to have their own carrier collect from us.. Hope we can all be friends and start again with a clean slate.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
I'm glad you decided to join us Mark and look forwards to hearing your input on some of the plating discussions.

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »
Yes welcome from me too Mark. We definitely will gain from your experience on here, I have been thinking for ages that we need a plater with advice to pass on, on this forum.  We are a friendly bunch on here really and I am sure you will gain business by coming on here to join us. The son of the guy who owns Quality Chrome in Hull, works with me and he was telling me about all of the new EU legislation that's coming in, the other week. Must be a nightmare keeping up/paying for it plus you have to deal with Joe Public,  which is sometimes rewarding and sometimes a pain in the ar*e.

Cheers .. AshD

Offline rschrome

• View Profile
    • R&S Electroplating Limited
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:07 PM »
Fire away with any questions also we are only a small company and up to now are not subject to the new legislation but that can change at anytime but at the moment all is well

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »
Nice to have you here Mark, and I'll definitely be trying you out in the not too distant future.

Question for you - I have a set of very solid genuine Honda HM341 4 into 4 exhausts that have suffered surface pitting to the chrome over the years....

How do you deal (if at all) with prep & replating of complete exhaust systems & what's the process you undertake. Happy for you to PM me a quote if it's the sort of work you undertake.

Many thanks,

James.

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 04:48:22 PM »
Welcome Mark,

I'm glad that you have joined. I will be seeing you again before Christmas with another batch of rusty bits.

Alan
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal