Author Topic: Finally after too many years I'm working on my 500/4  (Read 18611 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Finally after too many years I'm working on my 500/4
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2021, 12:10:25 AM »
Rides again, getting some random cutting out under power, starts after a few dozen kicks so a bit more setting up and checking. Spent the whole day fault finding wiring and so on, seems the resistor in the regulator was causing a short to earth, after much testing by my mate who understands electrical trickery. Luckily I had a pile of spares to swap out.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2021, 03:10:47 AM »
Always good to see a bike with a chair attached - reminds me of my very brief ownership back in 1966 of an Aerial Square Four with sidecar attached - oh how I wish now I had kept it - bought from Spotrtarama in Chesterfield part of the old Brocklehurst Motor Group for about £60 !!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »
Interesting set up, wondering if the extra springs on fork stanchions was a three wheel requirement? Also requires drink holder on side car! 😂
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2021, 07:20:21 AM »
Looking good - That windscreen is huge!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2021, 08:00:08 AM »
The springs were something I'm trying out as a more sophisticated way to compensate for the extra weight than 6" pre load spacers used previously. I honestly cannt remember if that means I actually used a different set of forks though - I think I did. Certainly didn't dare strip the 6" preload spacer forks. Does seem to handle a bit better. Sadly means I loose the gators.
An  Arial square 4? At one stage that was my dream bike. These days this old bikes my ultimate bike.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2021, 10:25:37 AM »
The springs were something I'm trying out as a more sophisticated way to compensate for the extra weight than 6" pre load spacers used previously. I honestly cannt remember if that means I actually used a different set of forks though - I think I did. Certainly didn't dare strip the 6" preload spacer forks. Does seem to handle a bit better. Sadly means I loose the gators.
An  Arial square 4? At one stage that was my dream bike. These days this old bikes my ultimate bike.

Ariel Square Four - my brief ownership - I purchased it at around lunchtime on a Wednesday morning for £50 (My Dad attended monthly board meetings on a Weds afternoon - I was learning to drive so it was a nice run (driving lesson) from Derby to Chesterfield on L plates in his company Vauxhall Victor 101 circa June 1965).

Sorted out the Insurance cover and rode off back home  to Derby - the steering damper was tightened right down but above 50 mph the steering wobbled so violently I could not control it. Reached Derby and realised there was drasically something wrong with the handling so returned to Chesterfield - traded it back in at the purchase price with the deal being I had to spend more money for the full refund!

Saw this yellow & black A reg Maico Letta 250 cc Scooter with full screen, badge bar & electric start for £80.  Thus ended my Aerial Square Four ownership and I began my love affair with the Maico it was a great scooter sold in 1967 for a profit !!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2021, 10:09:37 PM »
The handling is part of the joy of side cars, I found mine really hard to stop shaking its head at some speeds but eventually learned techniques to deal with it though riding style. I find if you try to hold the steering tight and steer by muscle power it will probably literally throw you off and into a hedge. However let it shake a bit and give it a bit of leeway and it becomes quite fun. When my steering damper let go I actually didn't bother replacing it. I did at one point have a sidecar combo with leading link forks and a host of other improvements that fixed the quirky handling, I actually found it a lot less fun as a result.
So far post rebuild I've put 22 miles on the clock, carbs flood a fair bit, and the fuel tap bowl sprung a leak, pitted from the inside, replaced that with one off another project. Have taken the kids for a spin, from fairly indifferent they both seem to quite like it after a quick trip each - the elder demanded a second circuit of the village. I might have to refit the rear seat and passenger window. Plenty of jobs to do on it still, but I'm chuffed to bits getting to take it for a spin again after all these years. The engines sweet, pulls well.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »
The handling is part of the joy of side cars, I found mine really hard to stop shaking its head at some speeds but eventually learned techniques to deal with it though riding style. I find if you try to hold the steering tight and steer by muscle power it will probably literally throw you off and into a hedge. However let it shake a bit and give it a bit of leeway and it becomes quite fun. When my steering damper let go I actually didn't bother replacing it. I did at one point have a sidecar combo with leading link forks and a host of other improvements that fixed the quirky handling, I actually found it a lot less fun as a result.
So far post rebuild I've put 22 miles on the clock, carbs flood a fair bit, and the fuel tap bowl sprung a leak, pitted from the inside, replaced that with one off another project. Have taken the kids for a spin, from fairly indifferent they both seem to quite like it after a quick trip each - the elder demanded a second circuit of the village. I might have to refit the rear seat and passenger window. Plenty of jobs to do on it still, but I'm chuffed to bits getting to take it for a spin again after all these years. The engines sweet, pulls well.

As a raw 'know it all' 17 year old pumped with hormones I knew nothing about bikes with a sidecar attached and how they behave in the real world.

I'd seen a racing version I think they were called "kneelers" in Eckington ridden by the then local Honda Dealership owner Charlie Freeman so thought they were easy to master !
Isn't the internet wonderful for reviving a memory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=charlie+freeman+motorcycle+racer&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB934GB935&sxsrf=ALeKk00RO9_vQipNIYIslw4Kw42q1ZtsbA:1626415947677&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=85NAELJCHhAe0M%252CHO6eHuJMGhF7rM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRE_29-nyeWtjhlFS5ovmZDb0LDEA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihucXG9-bxAhU3QEEAHbedAUcQ9QF6BAgSEAE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 07:13:59 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2021, 08:28:04 AM »
That brings back memories, bought 2 bikes from Charlie, he was always good fun and his place in Eckington was always one of our regular ride outs.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 08:33:14 AM by smoothoperator »
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »
That brings back memories, bought 2 bikes from Charlie, he was always good fun and his place in Eckington was always one of our regular ride outs.

(Attachment Link)

Yes Charlie certainly was a character - I think my Dad visited him as his firm would buy cars from him when they  took them in part exchange for a bike.

Even after his spell in clink for handling stolen bikes I think it was (well before my spell in the Fuzz) the business still thrived & his customers did not desert him.
Tbh as he was quite a bit older than me I just knew him as a mate of my Dad's who seemed very outgoing. Many years later I found out the firm were still trading - I think his son may have taken over - not sure of that now the son may have retired as well by now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 12:57:58 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal